Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative dimensions

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
peter.jones123
891 Views, 13 Replies

Annotative dimensions

How can I get annotative dimensions to appear in viewports with different scales with text etc. at the same size?

hope_this_helps
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: peter.jones123

Assuming your text STYLES and DIMSTYLES are oth annotative, and your DIMSTYLE is using your annotative text STYLE, simply changing the viewport's scale will do it. If not you got something set incorrectly and you need to post a sample DWG file for others to help further.

Message 3 of 14

Hi,

Many thanks for your response. I'm sure that I am missing something here. Please see attached file. Square is 500 x 500 units and there are 2 annotative dimensions 1:5 on the top and 1:10 at the bottom of the square.

Viewport scales are set to 1:5 and 1:10.

Hope you can help.

hope_this_helps
Message 4 of 14
heinsite

I got the same results with your file.  But I made it work once I did the following:

Deleted the viewports and dimensions in model space;

Reset the ANNOAUTOSCALE system variable to 0 (it was set to -4);

Redo the dimensions at 1:5 and 1:10 in model space; and,

Rebuild the viewports.

Simply resetting the system variable didn't do it by itself for some reason.  I'm sure someone else here will be able to explain why.

BTW, I also created a new DIMSTYLE with a text height of 5.  It probably didn't make any difference in making things appear when they should have, but it did help when it came to seeing the text in the dimensions.  Smiley Tongue

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 5 of 14

Smiley Happy That fixed it for me. Thank you very much.

hope_this_helps
Message 6 of 14
pendean

Your DIMSTYLE is annotative, but the text style it uses is not.

Your active text style is not annotative, and all your text styles have a zero height (in annotative, you must provide a Paper Text height).

So all your dimensions are doing are following your hardcoded unchangeable settings, just like you set them.

Here is your file, fixed, without deleting anything. It was only following what you set it to do.

Message 7 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

>>>  (in annotative, you must provide a Paper Text height) <<<

That's a golden nugget of info.

Message 8 of 14
heinsite
in reply to: pendean

I don't believe your revised file completely fixes the problem.  Everything still shows in both viewports (1:5 & 1:10) in paperspace.  And the dimensions continue to show even after modifying their properties and removing unwanted annotation scales.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 9 of 14
pendean
in reply to: heinsite

So you don't want the dimensions to appear? Freeze their layer inside each viewport separately from modelspace layer settings. Your pick: LAYER or VPLAYER commands.

Message 10 of 14
heinsite

Dean, you may have lost sight of the OP's original problem.  He was having problems getting annotative dimensions to display in two differently scaled viewports.  It appears to have been solved now, but it's still not quite clear (to me at least) what was happening.

In your file I got it to work but it still required (1) removing and replacing the 1:5 and 1:10 viewports on his layout tab, and (2) going back to model space and verifying that each dimension was only associated to the annotative scale it was supposed to be associated with.  In your file both dimensions were associated with 1:1, 1:5 and 1:10.  That's why they showed up in both viewports.  Simply fixing the associative properties wasn't enough... the viewports still needed to be redone.  Once that was fixed it all worked the way it should, and the way (I think) the OP was expecting.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 11 of 14
heinsite

... a btw, it's not necessary as I noted earlier to reset the AUTOANNOSCALE variable after all.  It can stay at the -4 default value and things will still work.

my bad.  Smiley Tongue

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 12 of 14

Hi Dave,

Yes I had similar problems to make it work.

hope_this_helps
Message 13 of 14
heinsite

Annotative scaling is a little tricky to learn at first, but once you get how all the settings work together you'll be fine.  It's easy to end up with everything associated with all the scales you use too if you're not careful, and that was what I looked for to start in your drawing.  But it didn't quite solve the issue for some reason - still not quite sure why.

But when I use annotative scaling I'll always check first to see what scale I'm going to be using in paperspace before doing anything else.  Then I'll go into model space and make sure that scale is set before doing anything.  The other thing I'll check is that the "Show annotation objects for the current scale only" icon is ON, and that the "Manually add scale to annotative objects" icon is OFF.  From there I never have problems.

Dean suggested, and I strongly agree, that you need to create annotative text, dimensioning, and leader styles with your paper space text heights defined for this to really work the way you expect.  For your file I made a P3 DIM style and bumped the text ht up to 5 units and also increased the arrows (also to 5) so I could see more clearly what was going on.  But it did work... both viewports displayed the annotative objects they were supposed to properly with the text and arrows the same size in both.

Keep experimenting with this.  Once you get it you can move on to the next topic.  We all go thru this.  Smiley Wink

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 14 of 14
peter.jones123

Hi Dave,

Those comments were very helpful. Many thanks.

hope_this_helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost