Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative Symbols

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Chris
1531 Views, 16 Replies

Annotative Symbols

Hi, 

I'm having issues with annotative symbols jumping around the page. As far as I can tell, it happens on certain symbols when I add a second(or more) annotative scale to that symbol. I can reset the symbols so that they're all aligned and sitting 'on top' of each other, but when I switch to different viewports/plot or save/open the drawing again they've reverted to the position they jump too. 

In the past I thought it might be something to do with where the basepoint was within the block, but having changed that, I still had the problem. 

Both the blocks I've had it happen with are reasonably simple (one's an 'Auto Air Valve' symbol with a mask behind the lines, the other is a custom 'Section line' symbol although that also has some properties to allow me to extend the section line) objects. With the section line symbol I mirror it to get the second half, which is the half it's having the problem on. I wouldn't expect mirroring an object would do it though. 

The odd thing is, it's only happened in some drawings that I've done, and only with some symbols (which were all created at a similar time, so should have the same issues?), so I can't think of what it could be.

Can anyone help with this?

Regards

Chris

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Chris

Message 3 of 17
Chris
in reply to: Charles_Shade

One of them is, the other one isn't.

Assuming by dynamic blocks you mean block the the 'tags' that let you adjust the size/number of 'pieces' in the block without editing the block itself. The section marker has a line that I can stretch, but that's it.

Regards,

Chris

Message 4 of 17
Charles_Shade

I don't believe that the DynBlk is the reason for your issue but the comment about mirroring changing the position made me think in those terms.

Some combinations of Actions in DynBlk's can cause entities to move more than expected or Flip to odd places.

So you did not create these Blocks?

How are you applying the Annotative Scales?

Message 5 of 17
Chris

I did create the blocks. I created them in paperspace at 1:1 and then copied them into the model space of the same file (it's a template/drawing standards file) From there I copy them into any relevent drawings that I'm doing. 

Applying the scales; generally I have the properties tab docked to the right side of my page. Annotative scale is applied in there. For a while I had the 'automatically assign annotative scale' button checked by accident. 

Regards,

Chris

Message 6 of 17
pendean

Post a DWG sample with the blocks and problem.

Message 7 of 17
Chris
in reply to: pendean

I've attached the section symbol. I definitely think the issue is when I add the additional scale. Perhaps there's something wrong in the way I set it up, as I'm not confident I know the rules for annotative text when I create the block attributes. I recall that I had trouble getting the annotation scale of the text to show properly unless I followed a specific method of creating the block. And any time I wanted to change the size of various parts of it I had to start it again. 

The other symbol is pretty basic. Just a rectangle, with a mask behind it. 

Message 8 of 17
Lawson2011

Hello,

When you mirror it, it doesn't seem to mirror the hole block, I have added a flip attribute to the block and now it works fine.... Please see attached file Smiley Happy

Please mark as solved if it is a solution

Message 9 of 17
Lawson2011
in reply to: Lawson2011

Hit the little arrow at the bottom of the block and it flips

Message 10 of 17
Chris
in reply to: Lawson2011

Thanks for that. 

Any idea why it wouldn't be mirroring the whole block?

If I can identify that it, then it could be the problem with the other block I would guess. 

Regards,

Chris

Message 11 of 17
Charles_Shade

Running MIRROR Command on this block as is without the Flip Action works fine here.

Nothing unusual shows up as does in the Block on the left that was Mirrored in your drawing file.

The Flip Action is a natural progression for that block so that you do not need to invoke an additional Command to use this as you would like.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Kudos + gladly accepted if you are feeling magnanimous

Message 12 of 17
Chris

Hi Charles,

I'm not really sure I understand all you've said there. Are you saying you can open my file and it show's up fine and mirror's fine? 

Message 13 of 17
Charles_Shade

Yes, I did not see any anomaly with the Block as is.

RECOVER or AUDIT the file that contains the Block and see if it cleans up for you.

And post your second block as well.

Message 14 of 17
Chris

Hi Charles,

I've done both audit and recover. I still see the problem. If you can see it working fine then could it be something to do with some sort of view setting? As far as I know I'm using default settings for most things (apart from toolbar layouts, snaps, etc) 

I've attached the file with the other block in it. 

Regards,

Chris

Message 15 of 17
Chris

Has anyone else tried this? I still have the issue that the objects jump away from where they're supposed to be. I can synchronise the positions of the objects, but it seems like I have to do it every time I open and close a drawing. 

Regards

Chris

Message 16 of 17
pendean

Message 17 of 17
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: pendean

First off, I would ask if you are asking the block to be visible in a new scale, and then moving it in that particular view? I think one feature of dynamic blocks is that each scale representation can be moved independently of each other. I am not sure if AutoCAD has a variable you can turn off to disallow this behavior. I am also not sure if being annotative doesn't play nice with the flip feature. I had issues with the flip feature and scales/stretches awhile ago, and resorted to manually mirroring the object instead. I suspect that if an object in one scale is to the side of itself when in another scale, then to mirror it over its centerpoint in the one scale will cause the shifted one to mirror as well, to a point now on the other side of the mirror point, yesno?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost