Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning multiple objects

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
SteveAB
59709 Views, 33 Replies

Aligning multiple objects

Is there a way to align multiple objects along the same axis as the further most object?  As an example, to have the right side of three boxes line up with the right side of the box furthest to the right.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
pendean
in reply to: SteveAB

LT version?
Message 3 of 34
SteveAB
in reply to: pendean

2012...I guess that would be important : )

Message 4 of 34
Charles_Shade

Message 5 of 34
SteveAB
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Can you explain how the ALIGN command does what I am trying to do?

Message 6 of 34
Charles_Shade

Hmm... maybe not... It could bring the items together (touch) individually but not what you need to do.

Message 7 of 34
pendean

Basic drafting:

Set running osnaps to END or INT, and PAR

MOVE command, first point on the first box to move from an END or INT, second point on a parallel line you want to align.

Repeat for all other boxes.

OR what the rest of us do (and reason for version question):

turn on Object Snap Traking

Set running snaps to END or INT

MOVE command, first point on the first box to move from an END or INT, second point, without clicking, is an END or INT on the box side you want to be parallel with, then drag down to snap and align.

Repeat for the other box.

OR the 'wuss' way:

Draw a line from the first box.

Move your boxes and snap to parallel to aling.

Erase line.

Message 8 of 34
SteveAB

Thanks, Dean. 

Since we’ve upgraded, I have never looked into what snap tracking does…I’ll be using it a lot.

I tried to figure out a macro that will remember the reference point (similar to baseline dimensioning), allowing me to just select the objects to move, without reselecting my track point.  Is this possible?

Message 9 of 34
pendean

Post your macro or walk us through the command list and options in the sequence you want to use them, I'm sure someone will jump in and help you write it.

Message 10 of 34
cooldster

One of the few things I like MIcrostation over AutoCAD is its Align Command: in there, you can choose "Align Vertical", "Align Horizontal", "Left", etc etc. Click source object to align to and then you simply fly with it.

I've been using AutoCAD, as well, and the methods mentioned above are rather tedious. I wish some things were more intuitive.

Daren

Message 11 of 34
Irish2

Well, say what you want but I happen to LIKE the wuss way! Smiley Wink And to the last poster: if that is too tedious for you well, not sure what to say. Not really a big deal. If you need that type of alignment then plan for it and its even a lesser issue than above! 

Message 12 of 34
EUGENERIEL2527
in reply to: cooldster

This doesn't solve the problem of moving multiple objects at once as you can do in Illustrator and Quark for example. You're still just moving one object at a time. What if you are trying to line up 20, or 100 objects?

Message 13 of 34
pendean
in reply to: EUGENERIEL2527

The solution may be full AutoCAD and some lispcustomization: others LT does not ofmuch any other option similar to the other programs. If you believe it does, please post a DWG with what you wish to do in it and include instructions on you desired final result.

Message 14 of 34
tommytamasese

The way I align multiple objects is I choose which object I want the rest to line up with and SELECT that object and right-click Properties and under the Geometry tab I highlight the Position X for example 692'-9 7/8" and I copy that number.

Then I SELECT all of the objects I want to align, I right-click and select Properties, then under Geometry I paste in a value for the Position X  692'-9 7/8" and I Leave the Position Y as *VARIES*.  And thats it.  

That will make all of your object align vertically on the y-axis.  Don't try to use the mouse to set the Position X because all of your Position Y will also use the point you click on.  It's something Autodesk could fix but no big deal, i just paste the numbers in the Position X.  

Message 15 of 34
Darwin33

Hi,

Please could you be more specific with the wuss way.

And is there any lisp comand, like ATEXTO, to do that more easily?

Best Regards

Message 16 of 34
pendean
in reply to: Darwin33

No LISP in LT where you are posting.

Explore ALIGN command if you use a modern version of LT (or any version of full AutoCAD) for another option.
Message 17 of 34
darenmd
in reply to: tommytamasese

What if the Position values under Properties are grayed out (can't be selected)? How can I "unlock" the Position entres?

Message 18 of 34
pendean
in reply to: darenmd

What's the object type that you have selected? Your answer is probably that.
Message 19 of 34
darenmd

They're just text objects.
Message 20 of 34
toverturf
in reply to: darenmd

I'm trying to do the same thing.

I have 3D objects (equipment with different heights) and I'm trying to move them at a 6'-0" elevation at the top of the equipment.

Yes, I could calculate what I need to move them to the 72" mark in the Z-axis, but whenever you have tons of equipment to move, it's tedious and in this day of age...it's about working smarter and faster.

Please see attachment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost