Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD LT 2013 unable to save to drawing message

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mpukas
1188 Views, 7 Replies

ACAD LT 2013 unable to save to drawing message

Several times, with different files, I get a message when I try to save a drawing using ctrl-S (or when clsoing an un-saved dwg);

Unable to save to drawing B:\ (file location folder)\file name.

Drawing saved to B:\ (same file location folder)\savD214.tmp

The only option is to click OK

Now there are several .tmp files in my job folder. I haven't tried to open them or anything else.

The original file will be lost if I close the drawing. I've had this happen when I clsoe the drawing before saving it - I'll get a message asking if I want to save the draiwng before closing it, and then I'll get this message, click OK, and the file will be gone. I have to to the .bak file, make a copy of it and change the file extension name to .dwg to get the file back.

If I get this message when I'm just doing a ctrl-S save, I immediately do a "save-as", copy over the original file name, and everything seems to be fine.

Any feddback is greatly appreciated. Thanks. mpp

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mpukas
in reply to: mpukas

correction - when I get this message using ctrl-S, and I immediately so a "save-as" the original file is gone - there is nothing to copy over, so I'm essentially creating a new file with the same name.

Message 3 of 8
pendean

What is B: drive?

Message 4 of 8
mpukas
in reply to: pendean

B:\ is my data drive. C:\ is my boot drive. I keep all data, including ACAD files, on the B: drive.

Message 5 of 8
pendean

B: is a hard disk that is a partion of C: primary hard disk installed on your PC/Laptop, or an external or thumb drive or server or a cloud or appliance of some sort?

Message 6 of 8
mpukas

I have two hard drives on my dsek top computer which I built myself. This is a common set-up that allows for very fast, stable performance.

I have a solid state drive (240MB) for the C:\ drive where the OS and all program software are installed. All ACAD data files are on the C:\ drive as they are installed - I have not changed the location of any of ACAD data/support files.

I have a conventional hard disk drive (2TB) that I labled B:\ where all of my datat is installed, including all of my job folders which contain the ACAD DWG files. It is not an external drive or a partition - is part of the computer.

Does this configuration have any effect on how ACAD LT operates? I've been using this system since December of 2011, and have not had this problem until very recently, in the last 2 weeks or so.

Thanks. mpp

Message 7 of 8
pendean

No, your setup is normal but your drive naming convention is not: I wanted to ensure you were not writing to a device like a thumbdrive or disk drive, those are problematic.

There is no 'fix' in AutoCAD for your issue: for some reason the program (through Windows OS) is reading the existing files as read-only or locked (or worse, the drive it not available/active/awake) and it's resorting to it's fallback solution of creating "something" to recover from.

One idea if any of the above is not the issue: Check the .dwg and the .bak files are not read only: right clicked each file and check the security settings for the file. Each must be set to inherit security from the folder (there is a check box for it somewhere, use your Windows HELP to find it). Set the .bak file to inherit security and do the same to the .dwg file too. Repeat for all your files and folders.

Message 8 of 8
mpukas

I checked the properties/scurity and the files are not read-only. In the advanced button under permissions, "include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" box in checked. In the auditing tab the same box is also checked.

This doens't happen often and seems to be a random occurence. Thanks for the advice. mpp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost