AutoCAD LT General

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 11 of 17 (96 Views)

Re: 1st Post here - Need help with LT 2.0 - Any 'Oldsters' out there?

06-07-2012 05:17 AM in reply to: sixsix

Now I said free: last time I looked CATIA was not free. Did you overshoot the mark? See the replies above for the correct software.

Try a Google search, finding free CAD software is not rocket science. Try before you commit.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
sixsix
Message 12 of 17 (80 Views)

06-07-2012 07:26 PM in reply to: pendean

Thank You Dean,

I will download this "very highly regarded" DraftSight program and see how the learning curve is.  Seems to have quite a bit of support and a large following.

Yes, I did a fair amount of Googling, but just checking out all these offerings is taking forever.  Meanwhile, the guys are happy with Acad LT 2.0 - be it ever so humble...

Seems MY biggest stumbling block is using my own Acad 2000 to generate and having to 'think' of how the simple 2D mechanical parts and BOM drawings will look to them after I save it as a Acad R12 / LT 2.0 DXF and they open it in the office with Acad LT 2.0.  Took afew trial and errors, but No Problems since.

Charles Shade also gave me 2 names that might help in the future and should have some info in the archives.

Thanks again,

Mike

Film @ 11 ...
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 13 of 17 (72 Views)

06-08-2012 05:42 AM in reply to: sixsix

>>>.. the guys are happy with Acad LT 2.0...<<<

The Church Secretary is happy cutting and pasting (scissors and paper-glue) the church bulletin every week;

An old-time Engineer friend still likes to draw with pencil and paper and pin-mounted drawings;

My neighbor still likes to use an air/noise-polluting 20-year old lawn mower to mow his yard TWICE a week (he never waters, so I'm not sure what is getting mowed).

At some point, being 'happy" also means a fear of upgrading skills to do a better job faster and more efficiently serving and servicing customers: nothing wrong with it by any means if you like being stuck in a rut (no cashflow goes hand-in-hand with no increase in productivity IMHO), but it allows the rest of us a greater opportunity to capture customers not normally available to us.

Happy Cadding!

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
sixsix
Message 14 of 17 (61 Views)

06-08-2012 08:49 PM in reply to: pendean

Dean,

As usual, you make SOME very keen observations...  actually I feel like I should be 'laying on the

analyst's couch' when I open your posts.  LOL

This LT 2.0 is, I feel, just a stepping stone for them.  It was free and it got the job done for, now get

this, 3 very simple 2D drawings/bom.  I know the program very well and it was the only thing I had

'loadable media' for on very short notice.

We're only talking a couple of hours to load it, make the dwgs, transfer the files and give a quick

lesson on distances and dims.  It took me much longer trying to get answers here ( no offense

intended ).  Those "problems" I had were never a hangup.

Of course, now that they have had a taste...   I could go on for much longer about what they want

to do NOW and the difficulties - using "Old Free Software" - I discussed with them, but the bottom

line is and we all agree, they should upgrade.

A side note and "The Clincher":  ( kinda' funny and sad at the same time ) These were conversations I heard between our sales guy and 1st, a prospective customer, then a forging vendor: "Yes, yes, we got the file, but, no we cannot open either the D-W-G or the D-X-F thingie".  "Would you please resend them, er, save them in A-U-T-O-C-A-D version 11, 12 or 2.0 L-T format, sorry and resend them"?   "Good, good, good and be sure to include any linetype files, ya know the DOT LIN......."  And so it went - on and on.

And so it has, in a very short time, gone from faxes and taking photos of A, B, C and D size paper

drawings and emailing them - to putting it succinctly - "Electronic Engineering".

There have been a few suggestions made in my 3 posts as to later software.  I am not sure what

my co's. 'price point' is, but I think there are a few obvious choices:

- Acad - New
- DraftSight or comparable - full license
- 2nd hand Acad 2000 or later
- Latest or a few years old, Acad LT

Do you have any to add or can you say?

Thanks for 'Listening' and pray for me: I'm going up on the roof to adjust the rabbit ears antennae... I use my Drafting Table and CO2 fire extinguisher to stand on for a boost.  HMMM... there's my old cellphone in the gutter - musta' dropped it last time.  Kinda' missed having one, what with the pinball game n' all.  - gosh, what's it been - 2 years honey?  ... nahhhhh... 3, I'm thinking.

Mike

Film @ 11 ...
Valued Contributor
mmelechinsky
Message 15 of 17 (53 Views)

06-11-2012 03:48 AM in reply to: pendean

ACAD?  A full seat of 2013 will set you back almost four grand.  Even LT has surpassed the one thousand dollar price point (list price: $1200).  Can you afford either?

DraftSight (the 2D) version is free.

You could look at other AutoCAD clones like progeCAD, IntelliCAD, Bricscad, or alike.  You'll spend in the neighborhood of $500 give or take.

Forget trying to pick up, on the cheap, old copies of either LT or full AutoCAD.  First...they may be duplicate copies (i.e. - illegal).  Second...depending on the version, even if it were legit you may not be able to get an activation code from AutoDesk.  One last factor is there is no support for versions prior to 2010.  Support for 2009 was just dropped back in March or April when 2013 was released.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 16 of 17 (50 Views)

06-11-2012 05:33 AM in reply to: mmelechinsky

I beg to differ on the Support issue.

I believe that there is plenty of support.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Valued Contributor
mmelechinsky
Message 17 of 17 (48 Views)

06-11-2012 06:12 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Well I guess that just depends on what your definition of support is.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community