Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x-clip boundary

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
cdavis7254
13291 Views, 15 Replies

x-clip boundary

Ok, we just upgraded to LT2012.  I'm in a drawing we received from a client.  All of the block references in the drawing have a very large rectangle around them.  When you click on the rectangle, an arrow appears with a help tip that says"invert x-clip boundary".  I can use the grips to stretch the rectangle and make it smaller, but there are a couple hundred block in the drawing and that would take forever to get rid of them.  I wblock out one of the blocks and re-inserted it, and redefined.  The existing blocks all still have the box while the newly inserted block doesn't.  I don't have time to replace every block on all the sheets.  I just need the box to go way.  I've tried "Frame", but the help on that has variables of 0,1 & 2.  Mine is set at 3.  If I change it, I can't get back to 3. 

Thanks

Cary

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Johneng
in reply to: cdavis7254

What is your XCLIPFRAME system variable set to?

The XCLIPFRAME system variable determines whether xref clipping boundaries are visible or plotted in the current drawing.

The FRAME system variable overrides the XCLIPFRAME setting.Use the XCLIPFRAME system variable after the FRAME system variable to reset the XCLIP frame settings

The xclip frame is not visible and it is not plotted

The xclip frame is displayed and plotted

2The xclip frame is displayed but not plotted

May I recommend you read up on the XCLIP command from the following link.

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/browse#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5207...

Message 3 of 16
cdavis7254
in reply to: Johneng

Thanks.  Setting the xclipframe to 0 didn't stop them from showing up when I move across them with my cursor.  I found that I can get rid of the x-clip boundaries, one at a time, by using the "clip", "delete" comands.   That brings up the question of why is there a boundary around a block?  It isn't an x-ref, just a block.  Also, I couldn't select multiple boundaries. 

Message 4 of 16
cdavis7254

I've attached one of the sheets that I'm working with.

Message 5 of 16
pendean

WHAT BOXES?

Message 6 of 16
cdavis7254

The boxes don't print.  When I move my cursor around the drawing, the appear.  If I select the whole drawing by doing a crossing window, they appear. 

Message 7 of 16
pendean

That wasn't a print, that was a screenshot from inside LT2012: no boxes show up as I move around the file, even after exploding it.

Turning on XCLIPFRAME shows them, ERASE seems to cure this long thread's main issue (the file creator did not send you everything, or you inserted this background into a cluttered drawing full of clips).

Is there more to it than that?

Message 8 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

GROUP'ed Objects will show a faint box around them now encompassing the Group.

Maybe?

(Don't see anything either.)

Message 9 of 16
cdavis7254

I've gone thru and deleted everything that doesn't have the box I'm talking about. If I hover over any of the blocks, a large magenta box appears.  If I just delete the box, it also deletes the block, that's no good either. 

Message 10 of 16
cdavis7254

Also, xclipframe and frame are set at 0.

Message 11 of 16
pendean

XCLIPFRAME, set it to 1

CLIP command, select each frame then select the DELETE option.

Repeat for each frame until they are all gone.

Too long a process? For a mere $4000 you can upgrade to full AutoCAD and someone can write you a lisp to speed up the process.

>>>...That brings up the question of why is there a boundary around a block...<<<
Ask the file creator why they needed to XCLIP each outlet: it's a deliberate not an accidental process.

Message 12 of 16
cdavis7254

Thanks, I'm stuck with the long way.  We can't ask the creator of the clips about it as his company has been removed from the project, so they aren't being very helpfull.

Message 13 of 16
Johneng

Sorry Dean I was trying to reply to the OP

cdavis7254

I am using 2010LT so I can't test this on 2012LT. On 2012LT when you type XCLIP on the command line does it promt you for Select objects  or does it prompt you to Select Object to clip. If you are prompted for Select objects type ALL on the command line hit enter twice then d and enter.

Message 14 of 16
heinsite

This example doesn't need a $4k upgrade or LISP routine at all.  If you just want the boxes to go away during navigation the solution can be accomplished in one quick step (I used AutoCAD LT 2012). 

Simply select all of the blocks in the file, type XCLIP at the command line, and turn them OFF, or DELETE them if you wish.  You're done.  In a more complicated drawing with other objects something like QSelect might be required to isolate the blocks with clip boundaries showing, but once you have them selected it's still just the one step.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 15 of 16
cdavis7254
in reply to: heinsite

Thanks

Message 16 of 16
pendean
in reply to: heinsite

DELETE is the option the OP needs, OFF was the problem: thanks for the follow up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost