AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

Contributor
vsiefert
Message 1 of 5 (4,630 Views)

dgn to dwg converter

4630 Views, 4 Replies
01-14-2005 07:15 AM
Anyone know of a free converter to change microstations dgn files to dwg's or dxf's? A contractor I'm working with says he has one but he on vacation. I'm not really into paying $2-$4K on something that I'm going to rarely use.

Thanks
*Brad Yarger
Message 2 of 5 (4,630 Views)

Re: dgn to dwg converter

01-14-2005 10:23 AM in reply to: vsiefert
AutoCAD Map/Land Desktop can do the conversion. Do you have a copy of those available? If not, you can always go back to the source of the DGN and ask them to export to DWG 2000. -- Brad Yarger "vsiefert" wrote in message news:11867515.1105715767265.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Anyone know of a free converter to change microstations dgn files to > dwg's? A contractor I'm working with says he has one but he on vacation. > I'm not really into paying $2-$4K on something that I'm going to rarely > use. > > Thanks
*Dean Saadallah
Message 3 of 5 (4,630 Views)

01-14-2005 11:28 AM in reply to: vsiefert
There is no free anything involving two very pricey software packages. Most 'dgn' converters/applications can easily save to DWG. Your choice is to buy one (start at US$399 I believe), or buy a version of AutoCAD that reads DGN (US$4000 plus). Or if you know a buddy..... . -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Contributor
vsiefert
Message 4 of 5 (4,630 Views)

01-17-2005 05:50 AM in reply to: vsiefert
Going back to get them exported is an option but with over 40 dwgs I don't think they would want to do that. Unless they can do it all at once.

Not a high priority job yet so I can wait to see what converter the contractor has when he gets back from vacation.

Thanks
Contributor
vsiefert
Message 5 of 5 (4,630 Views)

01-24-2005 12:55 PM in reply to: vsiefert
Well the free converter works as well as you's expect a free one would. If it does convert it everything is exploded even text and curves. So it looks like I may have to shell out some cash to get it done right.

I've been searching for about an hour and have only found 2. Both over $1000, more then ACAD LT itself. If anyone can recommend one that converts Microstation DGN files to DWG or DXF even for less then $1K hopefully no more then $500.

Still trying to find out if the guys who gave us the files have V8 of microstation and if there is a "batch save as" since there is a large qty of files.

Thanks
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.