Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot open AutoCad Release 12 file with AutoCad LT 2010

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NESGolden
495 Views, 6 Replies

cannot open AutoCad Release 12 file with AutoCad LT 2010

When I try to open an AutoCad Release 12 file with AutoCad LT 2010, I get a "Drawing file not valid" error.  The files were backed up on a DDS-1 data cartridge and I had someone retrieve them.  So I am not sure if it was the retrieval operation or the AutoCad LT 2010.  Any ideas or solutions?

An example is attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: NESGolden

i think there is something wrong with the file

it doesn't open up in 2013 either same message

anyway to open it in release 12?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
NESGolden
in reply to: DarrenP

Darren,

No I do not have that release.  The files appear to be okay. I guess I will contact the person who took them off the tape to see if he might have clue.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

File header is messed up: AFAIK this cannot be fixed.

Message 5 of 7
NESGolden
in reply to: pendean

How is it messed up?  Is this something that could have happened in retrieving the files?  What should an AutoCad R12 header look like?

Message 6 of 7
pendean

Open a good DWG file in Windows Notepad: first thing at the top is a code the starts with AC10 plus othe digits.
Open the file you posted the same way: first line is something else.
The file may have been corrupt prior to storing, or storing/retrieval method may not have completed properly and messed the file up.
Message 7 of 7
NESGolden
in reply to: pendean

Yes, I saw that.  I mentioned that to the firm that retrieved the files and it looks like they can fix it.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost