Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bounding box help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3485 Views, 3 Replies

bounding box help

I have a particular need with our Autocad LT. We make granite countertops that are all different sizes and shapes.
We need the ability to automatically draw the smallest possible bounding rectangle surrounding an object - with an offset that we specify.
For example, let's suppose we have a circle that is 40" in diameter. Let's say that we set our desired offset to be 1/8" on all 4 sides. This function would automatically draw a red box surrounding the cicle that is 40 1/4" x 40 1/4".
How can we get this function? Does our Autocad LT have this ability? - or can we purchase an add-on to do this?
I do know that other CAD programs do have this feature built in and call it an "encompassing rectangle" command or a "bounding box" command.
If Autocad LT cannot do this, is there an add on we can buy?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

OFFSET command is as close as any AutoCAD version gets: no add-on to buy for
that unless you can found one with a search on Google.

BOUNDARY command may help in a pinch if just to create a closed Pline to
then offset.

>>>...a circle that is 40" in diameter. Let's say that we set our desired
>>>offset to be 1/8" on all 4 sides...<<<
I did not know circles had four sides 🙂

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 4
Charles_Shade

I was thinking Top, Bottom, and Edge.
Can't get the fourth either. Although if you looked at it in plane then you could have a front and rear view plus the top and bottom for a total of four.
PLINE's and OFFSET command. OFFSET could be automated in a macro to achieve result with one click. Probably what the other programs basically do.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

LOL, engineers... .

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost