Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block editor close and crash

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
25174 Views, 24 Replies

block editor close and crash

i use autocad lite 2012 and it works fine except for when i edit a block (either block editor or block in place)  when i open the block i can edit it fine but then when i go to close the block and save changes my computer will usually lag and most likely autocad will crash.  i then lose all the work that i did in the block.  i don't know how to fix this problem but it takes time out of the day.  and always have to redo the work.

sometimes editing the block will only lag when it closes for after 10 seconds and other times it never goes back to the model and cad crashes

a side note is that i tried REFEDIT and the same problem still happens. 

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Is this limited to a specific block or a specific file?
Does it happen to all blocks?
Is this s recent occurance?
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

no it has always been like that on my computer and usally will also happen when the file is transferred to another computer and it pretty much will happen to all blocks both standard blocks as well as a block that i will create

Message 4 of 25
pendean

is LT2012 fully patched and updated? Seems to work fine here, which does not help you sadly.
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

i don't know what patching is so couldn't tell you.

i do know that it was working fine and then we got another computer which is WAY better and more powerful and after about a month with the new computer is when the issues started.  we have the same computer with someone else in the office and everything is fine with him (he is not with cad lite though)

but even then when we open a file with the issues on his computer then cad crashes after trying to close the bock editor

Message 6 of 25
pendean

If it worked once, then something changed on the PC: Windows System Restore may be able to fix it.

Otherwise you are looking at a complete removal and reinstall of AutoCAD and many .NET components etc.

AutoCAD has updates and patches, go get them, install them: may not fix your problem but will for sure stop others from asking you about them.
Message 7 of 25
drjohn

There was a hotfix for the Block Editor that was not really aimed at your issue but it might be a fix for you.

It was to fix a loss of data when closing a drawing in Block editor.  It might help you.

Read about it   >>>here<<<   and see if it is what you need.

Regards,

DJ

Message 8 of 25
jeh_uk1

Do you have an image attached?

We've found that if we have an image visable (on, thawed etc), after editting a block, the block editor hanges on exit.

If the layer the image is on isfrozen, before editing the block, the block editor is fine.

Jason

Jason
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: jeh_uk1

that seems like it may be the problem.  i froze the image and it didn't crash and the block editor switched to back to the regular model in a second. 

hope that this was the problem all along.  i will reply again in a few days to give an update if the issue has stopped with this approach

thanks

Message 10 of 25
jeh_uk1

Glad it's worked for you. It took us a very long time to find this "design feature" and the workaround.

Please mark "Accept as Solution"

Jason
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous

I often have this problem when using REFEDIT. AutoCAD usually crashes when exiting and saving changes. It is more likely to happen when the block is a complicated block with lots of entities. I've not had the problem with Block Editor. It is a strange occurrence, like, you can almost anticipate it.

I'm using AutoDesk Mechanical 2013 as part of FDS but I've had the problem since the 2010 version on several hi-spec machines.

I think in my case the problem is graphical caused by the NVIDIA card but all the drivers are uptodate and optimised.

Good luck

Alistair

Message 12 of 25
synsterthompson

I am just now getting this same issue. Right before I got these issues I got a new computer, maxed out for AutoCAD with 2 video cards. I've applied the hotfixes avilable online. But nothing seems to help.

Do you have to "freeze" the images right before you do any bock edits? then unfreeze them when you finish block edit?

Right now block edit only freezes in this one file. But the same file does not freeze for a coworker who is working on a compter that is older and less powerful than mine. Seems like block edit triggers something in my version of AutoCAD LT 2012 to crash. I've already done 2 clean uninstalls of AutoCAD LT 2012 on my computer.

This is soooo incredibly frustrating and a waist of time!

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: synsterthompson

yes you need to freexe the layer that the images are on and then open your block editor or black imn place.  once you are done and save the chagnes it doesn't crash anymore for me. 

this only started happening to me when I switched from AutoCad lite on a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system.

i have not had any problems though doing the freexing before editing ever since i figured out this isssue.

and yes it is incredibly frustrating

Message 14 of 25
hencoop

Nice catch,

I have had this same problem but I never recognized the involvement images had with it.   I have had problems with images causing crashes when I used Bhatch after I moved up to AutoCAD C3D 2013.  It took a lot to finally pin it on images.  In my case the image clipping boundary was not correctly defined.  I did the definition via autolisp which was several years old.  I used it all the time to clip faded white 1x1 bitmap images in place of using wipeouts.  Wipeouts caused plotting problems that could not be fixed or avoided.  My image clipping routine had a logic error that only applied whenever the polyline selected was closed with a common begin and end point but this was not apparent until I finally discovered the cause in 2013.  To this day Audit and Recover in 2013-2015 will not detect the problem and since the clipped images caused no errors in 2010-2012 they are scattered all over the place throughout my drawings.  The quick solution I found was the similar to what you discovered for this problem... to unload the images.

Thanks for solving this!  This problem has been causing some consternation here.

(I'm on C3D 2014 now... I dropped back down from C3D 2015 which blew up some of my heavily used lisp routines with its required change from COMMAND to COMMAND-S in some circumstances.)

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 15 of 25
ScottHodges

That seems pretty typical behavior for the block editor being used with LT, and sometimes with full version also, the other guys in my office have told me. You could always play it safe and wblock and reinsert the block after editing, especially if the block is complex or large
Message 16 of 25
CalamityJane32

I can't thankyou enough for this thread!

This issue has cost me HOURS of work over the last few months. Purge, Audit, -purge, you name it, I've done it with no success. I've put it down to using "old" blocks, but even exploding the blocks, editing and then reblocking still gave me the same issue.

Just created a new layer, put the images on that layer and froze it off ~ then went on to edit my block no worries.

Thank you!!

Message 17 of 25
ionstangfast

Thank you, jeh_uk1 ! Work for me too, I can now close edited blocks witout "stop working". (win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, autocad2010).
Message 18 of 25
j_schroeder1
in reply to: ionstangfast

I have noticed this issue recently from time to time and hadn't been able to ID the source. Even in instances where it did successfully save and close the block, it took and outrageous amount of time for CAD to complete the operation. I initially thought it was due to complexity within the block, but I made a single circle and created a block from it and resulted in freeze and crash. Fortunately I found forum and realized that my problem files all have image references. Autodesk forums come to the rescue once again!

Message 19 of 25
bleblanc03

It's great that the community has found this "answer" to the problem, but it's still a huge problem that plagues my life! Autodesk NEEDS to correct this bug. Freezing images before you do anything (I have to do the same if I want to edit the Point Utilities???) is a b.s. thing to expect from users.

Message 20 of 25
ScottHodges
in reply to: bleblanc03

I don't know if I'd call it a bug, more a bad workflow for underpowered computers. I am commonly given background aerial photos in the gigabyte size. Very few computers can handle these effectively. Often other users can not open or print low res pdfs of drawings created with these huge photos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost