Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown items increase file size

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ClintonBFA
554 Views, 4 Replies

Unknown items increase file size

I work with 4 team members and we are currently using AutoCAD 2012 LT. 

We require reworking original files (drawings) and renaming them in order to increase productivity. 

In doing so my system seems to have picked up a ghost within a drawing that increases the size of the files (drawings) I save.

The other three can open my drawing and copy paste to a new drawing and save, the size decreases by half or more. 

We are all back saving to 2004. 

1 file

As a test I removed all items from the drawing, purged and removed all xrefs, and then saved the file (drawing).

Size went from 17209kb to 13277 kb.

In model space I typed in 'Change' and selected 'All' the command line reads:

1 found
1 was not in current space.

I switched to layout space and repeated the same step. Upon the Select 'ALL' command the line reads:

1 found
1 was the paper space viewport.

But the view port no longer exists. 

The original file (without anything deleted or removed) was opened on another team members computer and copied and pasted into a new file (drawing) and the size when from 17209 kb to 7239 kb

1 file

As a result I started with a new drawing, small in size, and continued my work. 

File (drawing) size was 4308 kb.

I was copying items from other small files (drawing) making sure not to use any of my previous drawings.

After saving this drawing, the file went from the previous 4308 kb to 11450 kb

I had a team member copy and paste this into a new drawing page and save, it went from the previous 11450 kb to 5287 kb

When I copy and pasted these file (drawing) into a new page the file size does not change. 

Result my CAD is doing this? 

Any suggested repairs?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: ClintonBFA

OPTIONS command, SAVE tab, there are two boxes under the format type you need to uncheck. That usually helps.

BTW, saving to a lower format like 2004 will increase file size compared to 2010 format default of LT2012: you are forcing AutoCAD to write roundtrip info into the file plus compression of curent formats is better than others. Unless you all have a great reason to do so, I'd just stop and save down when it's time to archive the project on completion.
Message 3 of 5

Is that really correct -- a 17MB+ drawing? What on earth do you have in there in the first place? AutoCAD LT drawings are usually at least an order of magnitude smaller than that.

You could also try -PURGE (note the dash) and clean out the RegApps (registered applicaitons) that may be lurking in there.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 4 of 5
ClintonBFA
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

The 2 things mentioned did not fix the drawing. But I agree with the saving at 2010 I however do not have say on that issue however I have passed on your information.

Would you know of anything else besides purge to remove unwanted items that are not able to be visual found?

Thanks

[clinton saddington]
Message 5 of 5
pendean
in reply to: ClintonBFA

Start LINETYPE command in that file: see more than normal linetypes by chance?

Best method to reduce a size of the file is to use WBLOCK then only select what you want to salvage manually with a Window selection.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost