Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Group and Ungroup command buttons

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
katie1994
7035 Views, 17 Replies

Two Group and Ungroup command buttons

I was looking in the CUI to see if I could add a keyboard shortcut for Group and Ungroup. My LT 2013 version is showing 2 buttons for each command. the Macros are different for each pair, and so is the description. I am not an expert in this area and it isn't clear to me what the differences are. The list shows the same icon for the buttons of each pair.

Group-^C^C_-pkfstgroup; * ;

Group-^C^C_group

Ungroup-^C^C_qkungroup

Ungroup-^C^C_ungroup

So, which command matches the button on the ribbon panel? And is there a difference to the commands?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
sthompson1021
in reply to: katie1994

Unless LT is differant then full autocad, G is the keyboard shortcut for group. Ungroup doesn't have a keyboard shortcut built in but I added UG to the pgp file as the shortcut. As far as the macros, I'm not sure what the differance is.

Message 3 of 18
pendean

LT is special, it has all four commands. Full AutoCAD does not, so the above tip is not applicable.
Why don't you type each at the command line and find out for yourself which do you like/prefer and use it/them.

To add or edit or delete command shortcuts in AutoCAD/LT... on the Ribbon click on the MANAGE tab, then in the Customization panel and click on EDIT ALIASES. Anything you add to the bottom of the list will overwrite whatever is at the top of the list. Ensure you match the syntax exactly.
After you close/save that file, use REINIT command to reload it.

NOTE: command shortcuts do not run macros found in the CUI. For that type of advanced shortcuts you need Full AutoCAD and the use of LISP. Unless you really want to redesign the whole Keyboard Shortcuts CUI portion (I've not dared myself LOL).

Message 4 of 18
c.dufrene

You could also create either a new tab or panel in the ribbon either a toolbar with those 2 buttons...

Message 5 of 18
katie1994
in reply to: c.dufrene

I already did that, what I want is a keyboard shortcut so I can toggle between the two faster.

Message 6 of 18
pendean

"To add or edit or delete command shortcuts in AutoCAD/LT... on the Ribbon click on the MANAGE tab, then in the Customization panel and click on EDIT ALIASES. Anything you add to the bottom of the list will overwrite whatever is at the top of the list. Ensure you match the syntax exactly.
After you close/save that file, use REINIT command to reload it."
Message 7 of 18
katie1994
in reply to: sthompson1021

No, if I type in G>enter the Group Manager opens, if I type in G I get a dropdown menu with every command starting with G then have to scroll down to find G.

Message 8 of 18
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

I can get as far as opening the Edit Aliases box, but I have no idea what to do after that. I know nothing about coding.

Message 9 of 18
sthompson1021

OK first if you type GROUP or UNGROUP at command line, do the commands work? If they do, then you can edit the PGP file to assign keyboard shortcuts. When you get to the edit aliases box, click on PGP. this will open a text file in notepad. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the file and it will say something about user defined command aliases. This is where you want to enter the shortcuts at.

G,         *GROUP
UG,       *UNGROUP

The G shortcut will replace the groupmanager shortcut. After you enter them, save the file and close. In the drawing, enter REINT at the command line. This will update autocad so the new shortcuts will work.

Message 10 of 18
pendean

Expanding the excellent post above since you have LT:
G, *GROUP
UG, *UNGROUP
PG, *_-pkfstgroup
UPG, *_qkungroup

But don't forget what I posted earlier: all these abbreviations only launch the core command, they do not run anything else so they do NOT work like the buttons you are clicking on. For example, no option like this Group - ^C^C_-pkfstgroup; * ;

As many have posted around here, type these four commands at the command line (do not click on any buttons) and see how they work for yourself.
Message 11 of 18
katie1994

When I click on Edit Aliases there is no box, a PGP Notepad opens with lines of code, see the attached. 

Message 12 of 18
sthompson1021

That is your PGP file where you enter the shortcuts at. Scroll al the way to the bottom and enter the shortcuts there.

Message 13 of 18
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand the gist of it. All I am trying to do is type G and start the Group command, UG and ungroup. So I guess yes, I am trying to launch the core command. What do you mean by "they don't run anything else so they don't work like the buttons you are clicking on."? When I click on the Group button, I am able to group 2 or more objects. So I would assume that if I had G as a keyboard command it would launch the same actions. Am I missing something?

I don't read code so I don't know what you mean by your example.

And as I answered sthompson 1021, when I type Group, or Ungroup the commands are started as if I had clicked the buttons. when I type G, the Group Manager opens, UG is an unknown command.

What command is PG, and UPG?

Message 14 of 18
hwalker

You need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of that text file. Look for USER DEFINED COMMAND ALIASES.

There you will find

G,      *PKFSTGROUP
GROUP,      *PKFSTGROUP

Delete them both.

Whilst there add the following

UG, *UNGROUP

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 15 of 18
katie1994

OK, this works! Thank you. It didn't go as you outlined though, I entered the commands at the bottom of the notepad, saved and closed the box. When I entered REINT at the command line I got a "command not recognized" reply. So I closed and reopened the program and now the G and UG keys launch the commands. Whew!

Message 16 of 18

For future readers, it's REINIT (RE + INITialize).
--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 17 of 18
sthompson1021

Sorry about that. The command is REINIT. I missed the second I in that post. Glad it worked for you. Its a handy file to get to know. If you look at the screen shot of my custimized commands, I changed C to COPY and made CI  CIRCLE. I use the copy command a lot more than the circle command so for me it made sense to shorten it. Most commmands that you can type at the command line can be assigned a shortcut in that file.

Message 18 of 18
katie1994

Thanks, I have made custom toolbars and menu's, even custom buttons on almost every version of AutoCAD since verson 10, but this is the first time I have needed to change a keyboard shortcut.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost