Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering files from autocad to autocad lt 2015

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rayeernst
409 Views, 3 Replies

Transfering files from autocad to autocad lt 2015

New to Autocad products. 

I need to transfer all files from a deceased persons computer who was using Autocad 2011 to complete a project for one of his clients.

I have downloaded Autocad LT to see if this will be sufficient (only need 2d aspect for project).  I need to be sure I get all required files, used hatches,fonts,etc.off the computer, but not yet sure where to look for these files or if indeed they can all be transferred.

I am confident that the drawing files can be transferred but question whether the hatch patterns and/or fonts can also be transferred.

Can anyone advise me regarding file extensions to retrieve and if I can transfer the autocad hatch patterns to autocad lt?  I know there is a sheathing pattern which I would like to transfer, but not sure I can.  The first trial transfer I received indicated that 2 reference files were not available and nothing showed on the screen except for a small preview which was not too descriptive.

What would be the best way to

Fortunately the project is not complex.

Thanks for your input or comments.

Ray

Win 7 Pro 64

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: rayeernst

LT is AutoCAD.

As for getting all required files from another computer, you'll have to start digging around on that PC to find all the content you want to grab that are not already in the files and manually transfer it to your PC. You will ned to discover for yourself how that other person organized the content first, AutoCAD doesn't do it for a user automatically.

Hatch patterns are PAT file extensions.
Linetype files are LIN
Fonts are in Windows font folder (if TTF) or look for SHX fonts if that user only used stick fonts from 3rd party sources.
Reference files are external files and if they are mssing AutoCAD sure likes to tell you where they used to be when you start the XREF command so that you can go look for them at that location.
Message 3 of 4
rayeernst
in reply to: pendean

Thank you Dean for you quick and informative reply, this is the sort of info I am trying to quickly assemble.

Learning Autocad will take longer.

Would you or others know if I will be able to transfer and use those hatch patterns that may be on the autocad computer over to my autocad lt computer or will I need to create my own to match? Is there an Autocad restriction on this? I can understand if there is one but would be dissapointed.

My access to the computer should be universal and hopefully the files structure will make it relative easy to locate the files.  If I bring up an existing file, is there a procedure to display where those reference files might reside?

Thanks,

Ray

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: rayeernst

You can transfer all the files I mentioned and use them.
Access to the paths of those external reference files are your only limitations to not seeing them. Hopefully your departed colleague didn't create havoc for you all.

You need to learn AutoCAD more quickly than you think: start now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost