Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To open from the cloud or not to open

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mrdavie
689 Views, 9 Replies

To open from the cloud or not to open

I dont mind drawings being automatically saved to the cloud, but by default I want to open drawings from the local folders. Is there a way to turn off the prompt asking whether to open a file from the cloud or locally?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: mrdavie

Look under the Online tab in OPTIONS as a start.

And if REMEMBERFOLDERS is set to 1 the File should open the last way you chose to open it regardless of where it is saved(?).

I'm a bit foggy on this one too.

Message 3 of 10
pendean

Log out of 360 "cloud" would stop it.

Message 4 of 10
Charles_Shade

Just had that this morning and did not stop long enough to see if there is a radio button to override in the dialog.

Message 5 of 10
mrdavie
in reply to: Charles_Shade

It just so happens that the REMEMBERFOLDERS variable was set to 0, which I chnged because I noticed that the last folder was not coming up as the default. However, i dont think it was related to the cloud storage/retrieval option.

Message 6 of 10
mrdavie
in reply to: pendean

I want copies of files to be automatically stored in the cloud. Wouldnt logging out terminate that process? I am checking it to see, but it will take a couple of days. thanks for the reply.

Message 7 of 10
Charles_Shade

I think this may be one of those choices you are stuck with.

From a remote site point of view it would make sense to be asked this if the most recent version of the plan was uploaded.

Using AutoCAD WS; I presume would be one example.

Message 8 of 10
pendean

I prefer to use the "ONLY FOR DOCUMENTS THAT I SELECT" option and control my actions deliberately: you've chosen the uber-busy automatic optioin which may be "clouding" your perception on where the file is that you are opening (pun intended).

The only way I can find to work on files in the cloud and not work on them locally is by chosing to open the cloud-based files: I suspect you are doing that if my original guess above was not it.

Are you by chance using the cloud as your "backup" to avoid backing up locally? Or do you truly share and work with others that need your files? The latter is not really advisable and puts your intellectual property at risk of loss (read the 360 fine print, they never guarantee full recovery in case of a loss).

Message 9 of 10
mrdavie
in reply to: pendean

Well, that's a good question. Since AutoCAD by default wants to back up to the cloud, I am letting it do that. I am not confident enough to rely on the cloud based files to work on. I want to work on the local files. So, yes, it is being used for backup. This is the reason I do not want to be prompted each time I open a a file.

Perhaps there needs to be a white paper or other document that thoroughly explains the cloud "experience."

Message 10 of 10
pendean

Unless you plan on working from home or actively share your work files with another party, I would recommend you turn it off completely. Backup locally as you normally would/should and leave the cloud for instances when you need to work from home or share with other AutoCAD users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost