Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangle Command: Dimension Instead of Coordinate

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
wordiotic
55125 Views, 16 Replies

Rectangle Command: Dimension Instead of Coordinate

Hi All,

A noob needs some help here. Usually when we enter RECTANGLE command, AUTOCAD will ask us to specify first corner point, then it will ask coodinate of second corner point. 

Can the RECTANGLE command be set to straightaway insert dimension instead of coordinates?

Previous computer I used could do this, but this new computer can't. I don't know where to set it. Both computer using the same version of AUTOCAD LT2013. I reckon it could be set, but how? 

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
hwalker
in reply to: wordiotic

Welcome to the Forums

Yes it can.

The two special characters you need to know are # and @, the # command will give absolute co-ordinates

eg start your rectangle at 10,10 and put in #5,5 and your rectangle will draw it's last co-ordinate at 5,5 BUT

the @ command will give relative co-ordinates

start your rectangle at 10,10 and put in @5,5 and your rectangle will draw it's last co-ordinate at 15,15

also note to draw a relative rectangle in the opposite direction just put a - in front of the value.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 17
nestly2

Additionally, there's a [D]imension option, just pay attention to the command line.

Command: _rectang
Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]:
Specify other corner point or [Area/Dimensions/Rotation]:

Message 4 of 17
wordiotic
in reply to: nestly2

Yup, true. I know it could choose "D". But for me, this step slows me down. So I'm trying to find another way, faster way for me to kick in the dimension. Thank you anyway, friend.
Message 5 of 17
maxim_k

Hi,

If you have Dynamic input ON, than with default settings (Pointer input -> Relative coordinates) you can use dimension input even without typing @:

Start RECTANG command, pick first corner point, than type horizontal size, hit Tab button, type vertical size and hit Enter.

2013-11-19 08_20_13.gif

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 17
wordiotic
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi,

This is what I've been looking for actually.

Remember when I said I switched computer now? This computer I'm using now has only 4GB RAM. So AutoCAD is kinda slow when I ON the Dynamic Input. So, I switched OFF the Dynamic Input. Previous computer had 6GB so I always switched ON the Dynamic Input. So during that time, whenever I want to draw rectangle, I didn't have to use @ coz my Dynamic Input is ON all the time.

Well, since my current computer is a bit slower, I might just have to live with adding @. Yeah, why not? I can live with that.

Thanks, pal. It all makes sense now.
Message 7 of 17
maxim_k

BTW,
I don't think that you have problems with Dynamic Input because of "only 4GB RAM" I worked on PC with 2GB of RAM with Dyn Input turning ON without any problems. I think the first thing you have to check - Graphics card drivers. Are they "up-to-date"?
You can also try to play with Hardware/Software acceleration settings.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 17
wordiotic

Really? Coz my personal computer also use 4GB RAM and quite slow when using Dynamic Input. Seems like I have to update Graphic driver for both computers now. Coz I really prefer to turn ON my Dynamic Input all the time.

Thanks again.
Message 9 of 17
maxim_k

@wordiotic wrote:
Really?

Yes, I'm not kidding.

Could you post hardware specs of your PCs?

Are they laptops or desktops?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I posted this reply on a different string with the same issue... here's what your looking for: 

Re: Rectangle Dimensions Issue
The rectangle thing was driving me nuts!  I also couldnt make a sloped line the way i was used to either.  

turns out this is all fixed by a setting under your "snap" menu. 

1.  right click on your "snap" button at the bottom of the screen, and select settings. 

2.  to to the "dynamic input" tab.

1. be sure the to check the box for ENABLE POINTER INPUT.
  2. select the "settings..." button under POINTER INPUT
  3. change the format to cartesian format, and relative coordinates. 

YEAY!  you can make rectangles in one move now!  and sloped lines without drawing a 3 step triangle!  sorry it took a year for someone to answer this for you!  

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

I am having a slightly different problem that I can't seem to fix.  I previously used AutoCAD 2016 and at my new employer I am now using AutoCAD MEP 2015.  I used dynamic input all the time and my previous job and I used it the same way as Maxim shows in his video.  Now, with this new system, messing with all the DSettings I can't seem to get it to work as a relative coordinate to the pick point.  When I hit Tab after entering my X value, it immediately recognizes that X value as the absolute X value (3) in this case, instead of +3 units to the right.

See screenshot below:

before Tab.jpgafter Tab.jpg

It appears to be dealing some fashion in absolute coordinates instead of relative.  But no matter how I set my dsettings and even polar tracking settings it always seems to do this.  It must be some system variable I just don't know about!

Please help, I miss making rectangles with fewer clicks the way Maxim showed!

Thanks,

Warren

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you try the enable pointer input suggestion i posted just above yours? 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I did.  Also, DSETTINGS is the command (just an fyi) to get to the dynamic input tab instead of clicking down at snap options and navigating over.

I realize now that this is the AutoCAD LT forum, but it seems like something maybe between all AutoCAD settings.

Message 14 of 17
craigcclick

Very cool! Thank you Warren13 and leilang for inputting direct measures for a rectangle using the dynamic tool and the tab. I'm trying to learn AC on a Mac and having a heckuva' time.

Question: Is there a way to offset a rectangle, or any shape, by selecting and inputting a dimension? Thanks

Message 15 of 17
hwalker
in reply to: craigcclick

Yep it's called OFFSET

Then you type in your distance. Then select your object and where you want to offset it to

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Yay! worked like charm... but I cannot see my rectangle diagonal line anymore 😕

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

exactly, man you master,
that's exactly what I was looking for
thanks a lot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost