Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIBBON

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Garry_Lelliott
682 Views, 8 Replies

RIBBON

This problem appears to be a recurring theme!

I started AutoCAD LT 2012 this morning and found all of my ribbon commands gone. I tried all of the options offered in previous discussions, I even tried the LT 'Repair' option to no avail.

From what I have read so far, the only other option open to me is a complete uninstall and reinstall of LT.

Is this REALLY the only other option? Does anyone know WHY LT suddenly decides to erase the ribbon?

I have experienced this before, but the tried-and-trusted IT solution of "switch it off, and switch it on again" usually did the trick!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Garry_Lelliott

Corrupt LT profile perhaps: only fix there is a reinstall.

If you decide to go that route, Autodesk recommended uninstall/reinstall procedures are as follows
Uninstall: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS45252
Reinstall (for XP/Vista users): http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS75218

Ensure the user installing/uninstalling and using the product have enough rights to do so (install and reinstall as local administrator):
Unable to run AutoCAD® as a restricted user http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1055299

I recommend you run a quality Windows Registry Cleaner in between the uninstall and reinstall processes to ensure your system is in tip-top shape.

Message 3 of 9
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

Or if a Registry Cleaner had been run or Windows provided a .NET update you may want to try a System Restore to this past week.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 4 of 9

Many thanks for the advise folks, restoring to a previously known 'good' position did the trick.

This seems to be a recurring problem, certainly with LT, being new to the forums, how can I find out whether this is being addressed by Autodesk?

Message 5 of 9
pendean

Turn off Windows Automatic Updates, and get a very good anti-virus program (not Norton): if and when you feel you need to update Windows for a feature (or a program asks for a feature, do so deliberately.

Message 6 of 9
Garry_Lelliott

Dean

Point taken about the automatic updates, but would I not encounter the same problem with manual updates? Pardon my ignorance but, from what you are suggesting, it is the windows updates that are the source of the problem. Is this correct?

Message 7 of 9
pendean

Ribbon getting trashed is either a confilicting software changing settings (I doubt), or something is editing/changing your Windows Registry and affecting the AutoCAD/LT Profile.

Windows Restore should have given you a hint about what is being undone. You have either something running that is kicking on periodically, or an update that is triggering a system change. Both are hard to diagnose remotely: my recomendation above would stop the most obvious, but if that's not it, you'll find out the next time the Ribbon is trashed.

I don't see you needing to update Windows in the near future to try and diagnoze what breaks your LT's Ribbon, do you? IF it's still fine in two months, try a Windows Update. If it's not, something else you have on your PC broke LT.

Message 8 of 9
Garry_Lelliott

Well, that all seems blindingly obvious when someone else points it out!! I appreciate the input, at least I now have a change of identifying and/or fixing the problem going forwards.

Registering for these forums was obviously 5 minutes of my time well spent!!

Message 9 of 9

For me it has always been .NET updates that seem to hose things up.

Glad you got it worked out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost