Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick way to rename layout tabs?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
45576 Views, 24 Replies

Quick way to rename layout tabs?

So, I have this drawing with over 200 layout tabs. (I do shop drawings for a cabinet/countertop manufacturer, and we do one drawing per project.) Here's the thing... I need to eliminate pages 1, 6, 14, 20, 24, 30, 40, 44, 47, 56, 61, 64, 73, 78, 81, 90, 95, and 101 because they are now NOT a part of the project.

Here's why that is a problem:

In my title block, I  have the layout name as a field, so it says "PG [layout tab name]/224" which is needed because there's a table of contents for the pages that are printed.

Is there any easy eay to renumber all the tabs, or am I stuck re-numbering every single one?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25

Across platforms you can do this to delete unwanted layouts https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/deleting-multiple-tabs/m-p/2583744#M316396

No shortcuts exist for renaming.

Since you are not using LT, try asking in the LISP forum for some additional ideas https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/bd-p/130

HTH
Message 22 of 25

@matthew_atlantabraves Here's how I did it:

excel 2.JPG

1. In excel fill out the top two rows as shown above. Column C is the existing layout tab name to be changed. Column D is the name you want to change it to.
  2. Copy the cells downwards as far as you need; excel will create consecutive numbering in Columns C and D.
  3. Save file as Unicode text file.
  4. Close Excel
  5. Rename file extension to .scr (you should see the icon change).
  6. To execute the script, drag and drop the .scr file into AutoCAD and the layout tabs should get renamed.

The above method works best if you are creating the drawing from scratch. However in your case it sounds like you might not have consecutive numbering because you are deleting some tabs.

Message 23 of 25

That's great! Thank you, can't wait to give this a try.

Message 24 of 25
s60088g
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry to reply to an older post but I hope that you might help me understand a little more.  I used the LAYOUT command but found it to have more steps in typing it, typing r, typing the layout name and typing a new name.  Isn't it much quicker to right-click and select "rename" and type the name once? 

Message 25 of 25
jonathan.kwa
in reply to: s60088g

Hi, the layout command is used within a script (see message 22 for method) to automate the renaming of tabs - this is particularly useful and quicker when there is a large number of tabs.  If there was low number of tabs, for example 5 tabs or less, then I would probably rename them one by one by right clicking on each as you described.  Hope that makes sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost