Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting coordinates into aoutcad.

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
9329 Views, 12 Replies

Plotting coordinates into aoutcad.

Hi there,

Does anybody know how to input coordinates in the following format into autocad?

-12625,50 +3274832,92

-12772,91 +3274920,73

These are off a surveroy generals diagram (SG Diagram) of an erf/ site boundary.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

Are these in an Excel spread sheet that you can Copy / Paste perhaps?

Do you want a Point or a Line (PLINE)?

Have you just tried *-12625.50,3274832.92 to enter Coordinates?

Coordinate Entry

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

It doesnt matter wether its points or polyline. I need to find a way of inputting so that I can get them in the right place so that I have the site accuratley.

I have tried numerous combinations but the shape that is plotted is not right. Not even close. 

Message 4 of 13
Charles_Shade

Are these in an Excel spreadsheet perhaps?

Message 5 of 13
pendean

I take it you are not sure of what you have either? Just a question, based on your replies so far.

How familiar are you with LT? LT version? This would help everyone here better tailor replies: look up Surveyor as a search term in HELP, it will get you started (but it assumes you know how to draft with that method).

And answer Charlie's repeated question: do you have an EXCEL document, or just a paper output (can't tell from your posted image)?

Message 6 of 13
sthompson1021

Hi, did you figure out your coordinates? I think what you have are northing and easting coordinates so they have to be entered backwards from how they are written in the table. I tried a few of them and it gave me the right distance and angle.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi there 

Apologies for the lack of response regarding the excel sheet. 

I have attached a portion of the surveyors general's diagram. I have also typed up the coordinates in excel exactly as they are shown on the general plan including commas etc.

Thank you

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

How familiar are you with LT? LT version?

I've been using the full version up until recently. So this is my first experience with the LT version in recent years.

This would help everyone here better tailor replies: look up Surveyor as a search term in HELP, it will get you started (but it assumes you know how to draft with that method).

I understand the general principles of inputting co ordinates, and using points or a polyline to insert them. I understand how X,Y coordinates work, its just that I dont get the shape that I should be when I try to do it.

So I was thinking maybe the way I'm typing it and the format might be wrong.

Message 9 of 13
heinsite

The biggest part of the problem is the commas.  AutoCAD won't accept them as decimal separators.  Change all of them and you'll have valid points you can use.

But it still won't plot quite the same as your image.  Points J, K, and T don't look the same.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 10 of 13
Charles_Shade
in reply to: heinsite

To build on the comments.

I've updated your spreadsheet. Other than rotating this to the direction it needs to face it will set-up they way you need.

This is called Cocantenation.

Right click and Copy the far left column in Excel

From the Command line in CAD:

PLINE

Paste the Coords into the Command line

<Enter>

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Kudos + gladly accepted if you are feeling magnanimous

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks Charles, you've solved a problem for me. Much appreciated. Thanks for the patience in dealing with me as well. I also learnt a new excel formula 😉

Message 12 of 13
heinsite

What Charles did is exactly what I did w/ one exception:  I added a POINT column to the spreadsheet and included it in the concatenation.  Then I copied and pasted everything in Col F to the Command line.  This plotted all of the points in one shot.

Either Charles or someone else posted this cool  little trick somewhere else and it stuck with me.  Smiley Happy

Dave.,

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: heinsite

Brilliant! That is so awesome! Saves alot of time. Wish I'd put this post up weeks ago. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost