Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palette Interference

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Charles_Shade
234 Views, 14 Replies

Palette Interference

No laughing, I just started using Palettes. Like 'em doin' fine with 'em but do have an issue.

LT opens to my template file when launched form the desktop. Same thing happens if I open to a clean slate.

The
Palette is not accessable, i.e. it is on autohide and will not open for
use, and when I click close from the toolbar the program hangs for a
period of time.

If I click the close button again the file will generally close quickly but often issues a call for the Help file.

The second instance of any file being opened will close easily and w/o issue and the Palette will work fine.

Usual supsects: No updates to computer, No registry mucking with LT, I've only added the Palette to be docked to the left side.

Regards, Charles Shade
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jrintisch
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Sorry Charles, I'm at a loss. I use palettes all the time but I'm having difficulty understanding the problem.

Your comment, the palette "is on autohide and will not open for use". Does this mean you can see the palette bar on the side of the screen and if you put your mouse over it, it won't expand? Or it won't do anything?

"when I click close from the toolbar the program hangs for a period of time."
When you close the last drawing in AutoCAD, the palettes will save there current settings. If you don't like the "hang time", lock the palettes by going to the directory containing them and make all *.atc files "read only".

"If I click the close button again the file will generally close quickly but often issues a call for the Help file."
Which button are you refering too? The "X" at the top right of the screen for the drawing or AutoCAD?

Jeremy
Message 3 of 15

Yes, when I mouse over it will not expand and this only happens when CAD initially opens. After closing this first drawing everything is fine.

No, my CAD opens to a template. This is the Default Template File Name for QNEW under Tools=>Options. It s not the last drawing I close or the shutting down CAD at the end of the day that is a problem.

I have added Close to my Standard Toolbar. They order from right to left is Save, Close, Open. Just something I'm used to so I do not accidently close a file w/o thinking. I started doing this with Excel.

I am clicking this same Close button a second time while the drawing file is attempting to close from the first instance.

Charles

Message 4 of 15
jrintisch

The issue of the help menu popping up is a random thing that happens to me as well. I think it has to do with the ^C^C at the beginning of the code. It doesn't cancel everything prior to executing the macro.

With the issues of the Save, Close, Open, maybe there is an extra ";" or space that you can't see? I've had that before. It does cause problems.

The other issues, I can't comment on, sorry. Don't have any experience with them

Jeremy
Message 5 of 15

Yea I don't believe that it is a syntax error as this I can only trace started when I added the palette, CAD worked fine before. It is my own created Palette which may have something to do with it and I have not turned it off to see if CAD behaves any differently.

Thanks, Charles
Message 6 of 15
jrintisch

Hey, with your "Close" button, add the qsave option before it (just in case). This also saves time with closing drawings as it is one less thing to do.

Adding a printer setup to your palette also saves a lot of time. I can actually print 25 drawings faster than the publish option (AutoCAD needs to work on that... LOL). Just use the -PLOT command and go from there. It saves me sooo much time.

Jeremy
Message 7 of 15

I'm using Multiplot routine form Howard Walker over across the pond that has worked well for me on the plot department as I generally only have to do one at a time all alone here in my hovel...

Thanks for the tip.

Charles
Message 8 of 15
jrintisch

I use it mainly for single prints. It is really fast. Here is an example for PDF Creator:

^C^C-plot y ;PDF Creator.pc3;11 x 17;i;l;n;e;f;c;y;11x17.ctb;$M=$(nth,$(getvar,tilemode),y;n;n;n;n;y;y,y;a;n;y;y);

Model vs. Paper use two different ways of printing, so I've built it into this macro with the "NTH" function. If you find this useful great.

I have these built for every type of print I need. If I need 11x17 with a certain orientation, I just click on the tool once and start walking to the printer. If you are always using the same format for your prints, you may want to consider this:

^C^C-plot n ;previous plot;;n;y;y;

Jeremy
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

As a test, if QNEW is set to no-file, as in your template is not called,
does the problem go away?

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 10 of 15

No the problem is the same with QNEW blank.

Turned the Palette off, restarted CAD, Close works fine.

Turned the Palette on, restarted CAD, Close is slow.

Charles
Message 11 of 15
jrintisch

Close is slow because AutoCAD is saving your palettes (does this regardless of changes to them or not).

Jeremy
Message 12 of 15

Mystery solved. Man that was a lot of typing for me to just implement your answer from this morning.

Did all the Palettes under the Folder and then needed to do Commands and Shapes in the Support folder.

Now when I go to add something to the Palette I'm going to forget all this and wonder what I did wrong then!

Thanks, Charles
Message 13 of 15
jrintisch

What did you do? I suggested you lock everything. Is that what you did?

Jeremy
Message 14 of 15

Message 15 of 15

Back to the dead horse,

Closing CAD is slow if the Palette is docked. Otherwise the program works fine. No slow close saving te Palette. I have since unlocked everything since I am still adding and creating palettes.

The problem is that I like it docked to the left side and Auto-Hiding. It's out of the way.

Charles

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost