Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE Not Linking As Picture

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Bryan218
747 Views, 7 Replies

OLE Not Linking As Picture

I have a new computer set up to run Windows 7, AutoCAD LT 2014 and Excel 2013, which are all new versions to me.  For years I have been linking Excel OLE tables in AutoCAD LT with few issues.  With this new setup I am able to link Excel OLE tables having earlier ".xls" extensions and they look fine in AutoCAD.  However, when I try to link Excel OLE objects which were saved with the new 2013 Excel (".xlsx) they will only come into AutoCAD LT 2014 as an icon.  The icon lists the Excel file name and also has, in parenthisis "Command Line" behind the file name.  Can anyone help?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Bryan218

Walk us through your commands and processes please.
Message 3 of 8
Bryan218

With an AutoCAD LT drawing open I do the following:  Insert / OLE Object / Create from File / Browse... (pick an Excel file) / Link / OK. 

The default for Excel 2013 file extensions is .xlsx.  If I choose a file with this extension AutoCAD LT 2014 inserts the link as an icon.  If I choose an older Excel file with a .xls extension it will insert the link as a picture of the spreadsheet data which is what I am after.  Again, I have been doing this for years but now with the two new software products I'm not sure which product is causing the issue (or both) (or operator error).

Message 4 of 8
pendean

On the INSERTOBJ pop-up, is the "display as icon" box checked? Otherwise your procedure works fine with Excel2013's xlsx format and AutoCAD 2014 here, Win7 64bit.

Message 5 of 8
Bryan218

That check box is not checked.  I too am running on a 64 bit machine.  Older Excel 97 - 2003 files (.xls) will link up fine like they used to.  The problem seems to be with the new 2013 .xlsx file extensions.  Stumped!

Message 6 of 8
pendean
Message 7 of 8
Bryan218

Dean,

Thank you for the info.  I went to the links you suggested and found them interesting.  One of the reasons I like the standard method I have used in the past is because there is an option to "manually" update the linked tables.  By setting that option it prevents the table from being updated unless you request it.  There are times this is very helpful when you don't want the table updated until perhaps a later date or such.

I am just perplexed as to why it dosen't work as it should.  I've never had this problem before.

Message 8 of 8
pendean

I am not sure why the classic method works here but not for you. At least now you have other options until someone here can offer up a fix.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost