Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice Question

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
darco41
509 Views, 5 Replies

Novice Question

Hey everyone, first time using the forum and I have a feeling that it won't be my last! Quick background, I took a year of Arch Tech and Design in 2012/2013 and now finally have a job at one of the local lumber yards. Needless to say, I need to shake off some rust since I haven't really used the program for almost year. Now to my problem, and forgive me for my lack of CAD terminology. Whenever I attempt to draw a line on a specific point on a pre-existing line, I like to start in a corner/endpoint, drag the mouse along the line (the x with the dashed line) I then enter the distance from the corner I want the line to start, press enter, and it automatically snaps the midpoint or the closest endpoint instead of the distance I specified. If I remember right, that's how I used to do it back in school. Thanks for any and all help. I really appreciate it. (PS: I'm running Autocad LT 2013.)

Dustyn

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: darco41

Fuirst thing to try is to turn off your running osnaps: F3 key on your keyboard is there to toggle it on and off as needed.
Message 3 of 6
darco41
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the reply, I knew about turning OSNAP off, but I shouldn't have to do that everytime, and I'm almost positive that I didn't have to before on AutoCAD 2012. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6
pendean

"shouldn't" is a novice's answer 🙂

Glad it worked so easily: remember, take control of what you do and don't assume AutoCAD knows what you mean when drafting. It's what power drafters in AutoCAD do, they tell AutoCAD what they want.
Message 5 of 6
KateMorricalTowne
in reply to: pendean

Except in this case, "shouldn't" is entirely appropriate...you shouldn't have to turn off running osnaps in order to use direct distance entry. Maybe check the aperture setting?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 6 of 6
darco41

I will look into that and see what I can find out. Thanks, Kate! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost