Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCOPY - copy nested

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cdavis7254
2349 Views, 8 Replies

NCOPY - copy nested

We are using LT 2012. When trying to copy a nested item from an Xref, it "throws" the item I copied off to the outer limits of the drawing even though I've selected it to copy from one endpoint to another endpoint.  Is there a setting that I need to change to make it actually copy to the place I selected?

Command:
Command: _ncopy
Current setting: Insert

Select nested objects to copy or [Settings]: 1 found

Select nested objects to copy or [Settings]:

1 object(s) copied.

Specify base point or [Displacement/Multiple] <Displacement>: _endp of
Specify second point or [Array] <use first point as displacement>: _endp of
Command:
Command: z ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: e
Regenerating model.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: cdavis7254

So if you ran NCOPY with no osnap this doesn't happen?
Perhaps the endpoint if off in the distance and your Xref is just not showing it? Worth a quick text inside the xref file.
Message 3 of 9
cdavis7254
in reply to: pendean

I tried it again, I refedit'ed the xref and put in some text. then ncopy'ed the text, seclecting a point in open space as a basepoint & again as a second point.  Same results.  I even tried typing in 0,0 for both point.  It still sent it off into the far corner of the drawing.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

do this test: open the XREF file, then COPYCLIP the item you tried above.
Go back to the top file then use PASTEORIG command: anything weird about the item?
Repeat but with PASTECLIP command.
Message 5 of 9
cdavis7254

I opened the xref, copyclip'ed the text, then went back to the drawing and pasteorig. ti dropped the text in left field. I then used the pasteclip command and it let me select an insert point.
Message 6 of 9
pendean

Does the problem exist in other files?
Is your XREF clipped by chance?
Are both end points in the top file or the XREF?

I can't reproduce the problem at all here.
Message 7 of 9
cdavis7254

It has happened in a couple of dwg's, with xref's made from the same architects drawings. We take his dwg that his office created in an architectural program other than Autocad. We erase everything that we don't need on our dwg's, and change everything to a "base" layer that we plot at a lighter color, and "save-as" to a new dwg. Then we xref the new dwg into out drawings. We don't clip our xref's, not sure our boss would no what to do with them. No, both end points where in the xref when I ncopy'ed from endpoint to endpoint. (Thanks for your assistance.)
Message 8 of 9
pendean

If they are not using AutoCAD, there is no quick fix other than what you all have developed. You all may or may not be adding to the problems: you've not shared a file to test that has this problem.

If you want to share what that other program is, someone here might have relevant experience to share with you.
Message 9 of 9
cdavis7254

I believe they are using a Microstation based program. It's not that hard to work around it. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost