Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple problems and multiple glitches on Autocad LT 2013

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
katie1994
806 Views, 40 Replies

Multiple problems and multiple glitches on Autocad LT 2013

I have been having problems with my program for a few months and have posted questions seveal times for individual issues. Today I kept a log of the problems that cropped up in a 2 hour window of constant use. I have no idea what is happening, I have made no changes to the preferences or downloaded/updated anything to the computer. 

I am using Audocad LT 2013 using Windows 7 and FusionWare on a MacPro with OSX Lion. Note, I am using it as a PC not a Mac.

When I write Freeze what happens is that the screen and cursor freezes for up to 1 minute. If I click the mouse a message appears in the title bar (Not Responding) and the Windows 7 Start menus pops up to the left side of the screen and the screen fades out for 15-30 seconds. I have tried another mouse with the same results so that is not causing the problems.

9:48 Activate Stretch command - freeze

9:51 Click to select an object - freeze

9:56 Spontaneous freeze with out clicking anywhere

10:13 Trim, right click to select all objects - no results

10:15 Click to select an object - freeze

11:07 Object highlighting stops working

11:08 Click to pan - freeze

11:11 Object highlighiting now working

11:12 Object highlighing stops working

11:13 Save - freeze

11:21 Click on Layer to expand the window - freeze

11:30 Global trim fails

11:33 Select Offset command - freeze

11:39 Select Mirror command - freeze

11:45 Click to select an object - freeze

11:50 Select Copy command - freeze

Got frustrated and went to lunch.

Obviously this can really slow down my productivity. But it only happens in chunks, I might be able to work steadily for seveal hours with no problems then there will be several hours of constant lockups and failures. It's getting too weird. No one else in my office has had this problem.

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
pendean
in reply to: katie1994

When things flake out, what else is your PC kin the middle of doing (or you have plugged into it)?
Does restarting AutoCAD fix the problem when it appears?
Does restarting WIndows fix the problem when it appears?

Are your files on a server or local? If local and the glitch happens again, disconnect from the network/internet/world and see if it stops.
Message 3 of 41
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

I use the pc side for Autocad only, sometimes might have Acrobat Reader open, or Firefox.

As to the others I haven't really noticed if rebooting helps.

Yes, I am working on files stored on a server, don't really have the ability to unplug from the network. I could probably move the file to my desktop but that is contrary to company policy. And I have never had problems like this with any other version of autocad.
Message 4 of 41
pendean

I'm curious why you are not on LT for MAC? side-grades are easy (free I think for LT2013 and higher but don't quote me).
Message 5 of 41
katie1994

Everyone else in the company on Autocad is using a PC. Because of my work I need to be able to utilize programs and share work with co-workers using Macs. So this was a compromise.

Message 6 of 41
pendean

There is no compromise if you use the Mac version of AutoCAD: a DWG is a DWG is a DWG. Same with XREFs.

I'm sure Fusionware is perfect but in this end user forum you are asking most of us about something that is alien and too different, and many of your issues are perplexing to say the least. You'll have to wait for someone to drift in with your exact setup otherwise.

IMHO if you really want to be like everyone else in your office you need to be on a PC 😉
Message 7 of 41
katie1994

The issue is out of my hands. I am a bridge between the Planning department and the Creative department. I usually spend the day bouncing between the Mac and PC sides of my computer and it would be too expenisve to expect to have 2 different computers. And if someone else needs to get onto my computer to use AutoCAD or a Mac program this was viewed as the acceptable alternative.

And my manager is not an AutoCad user and has little understanding of technology except how to use email and play games. Even the IT department are more Mac focused than PC. The FusionWare setup was extablished by a previous IT tech so the new guy isn't really sure about how it all works either! Those of us who use PCs are in the minority here.

So, I can't change the set up. I am asking for some insight into what is causing the problem. Until I have something concrete to take to my manager and can say because of THIS, I need THIS, I can't do anything to change it.

Message 8 of 41
Charles_Shade

Because of the numerous problems that you have posted I should think you already have what you need to tell Management to get what you need.

Worst case for the IT guy: A new IT guy.

Worst case for the Management: Let them keep paying you for taking too much time to complete what is needed because the tools are inferior.

Dang - I think I just understood Dilbert!

Message 9 of 41
pendean

1. There are proper uninstall/reinstall procedures for LT that require you to edit and clean out the Windows Registry (after which you should use a commercial grade Windows Registry to fix it), followed by the removal of all instances of Visual C++ and .NET inside Windows.
2. Restart Windows.
3. Reinstall LT2013 after you turn off any anti-virus etc. apps, reauthorize it then fully update and patch it. Unplug from your network, then thoroughly test it.
4. Do not run any other program during this whole time..
5. If glitches start to appear, you've got issues on your end that remote assistance from here is not going to fix. If you have no other issues, plug into the network and test on project files.
6. Remember, no other apps should be opened on used at all.
7. If glitches start to appear after you plug into the network, you need to seek help from your I.T.
8. If no issues appear, run Windows Update so that it can put back .NET and VC++ some of your other applications may need.
9. Now you can safely run any other app.
10. If issues start to appear again, you need to discuss options with your bosses and I.T.

Stay tuned for other guesses from otghers that may or may not help in the meantime.
Message 10 of 41
katie1994

Thanks, we are going to try this process and see what happens.

Message 11 of 41
maxim_k

Hi Katie,

Forgive my ignorance, but what is actually FusionWare? Is this an application name? Do you mean VMware Fusion application?

If so, which version do you use?

What Network settings do you have for virtual machine, where you run AutoCAD LT?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 12 of 41
pendean
in reply to: maxim_k

An old post from this user in the MAC forum seems to indicate the troubles started after a return to work earlier this year: are you thinking server/network changes over last Christmas perhaps? very plausible.
Message 13 of 41
maxim_k

This is just my guess.
If OP does use VMware Fusion, than there are two types of Network adapter settings for virtual machine:
- "Shared Network", when the virtual machine does not have its own IP address on the external network. The virtual machine obtains a private IP address from the VMware virtual DHCP server.
and "Bridget Network", when virtual machine brigged to one of the network interfaces on Mac (Ethernet, Wireless etc.). In this case the virtual machine can use any of the services available on the network to which it is bridged, including file servers, printers, gateways, and so on.

Not sure about Christmas case, but definitely here could be network sharing problems.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 14 of 41
katie1994

I am not an IT expert but it was explained to me that FusionWare is a program that lets you partitian (?) the harddrive and operate the computer as 2 separate entities. I can either use it as a Mac with OSX, or as a PC with Windows 7. There is no commuication or shared software between the 2 halves, although items on the desktop are visible and accessible to both systems.

I have no idea what version the FusionWare is and can't figure out how to check it, it doesn't show up in the Programs list and right-clicking on the header doesn't show Propeties.

And I don't know what the Network settings are.

Message 15 of 41
katie1994

Don't know about that, the IT dept are always working on the server. Whay would changes to the server effect a program like that? And only that one, none of the others have problems.

Message 16 of 41
katie1994

I will share this with the IT guy, he is going to reinstall Autocad today to see if that helps anything.

Message 17 of 41
pendean

>>>...only that one, none of the others have problems....<<<
All the others are MACs running fusion and a Windows version of AutoCAD?
Message 18 of 41
katie1994

I meant none of my other programs seem to have problems. Admittedly AutoCad is the primary program I use with FusionWare, the others are Safari and Acrobat. Everything else is on the Mac side. 

One other person has the same setup as me and doesn't seem to be having the same problems. But she is also using LT 2008 not 2013.

Message 19 of 41
maxim_k

Hi Katie,

I suppose you are using Windows 7 on your Mac on Boot Camp partition (don't know why you call it FusionWare).
So you run Windows and AutoCAD in it as on ordinary PC, the Mac side doesn't affect Windows installation.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 20 of 41
katie1994

The icon in the Mac tray that lauches the program is titled VMware Fusion, my mistake. We call it FusionWare because it is less awkward to say.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost