Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT - Moving objects with arrow keys?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
punchmark
17982 Views, 15 Replies

AutoCAD LT - Moving objects with arrow keys?

Is it possible to select an object and then move it small steps with the keyboard, perhaps the arrow keys? If this is not possible, what is the recommended way to slightly adjust an object's position?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Moving objects with arrow keys? ]

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: punchmark

MOVE command, using object snaps or a grid reference, be precise about your
movement/relocation instead of relying on a screen pixel 'nudge' as your
earlier intention.

CAD is about precision drafting.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 16
YCSdraft

It most certainly IS possible.

It's called a "Nudge".  All you do is hold down 'Ctrl' and use the arrow keys as usual!

Should at least work from 2012 on.

@punchmark wrote:
Is it possible to select an object and then move it small steps with the keyboard, perhaps the arrow keys? If this is not possible, what is the recommended way to slightly adjust an object's position?

Godspeed, sweet drafter.

Message 4 of 16
pendean
in reply to: YCSdraft

5-years later with the answer, I like it 🙂

Yes, things have moved on since LT2008 and lower back in the year 2009. Good current updated answer.
Message 5 of 16
invectra
in reply to: pendean

I'm a new owner of AutoCAD LT 2010, having traded up from the 2000 version in order to run on new Windows 7 computer. Granted AutoCAD IS for precision drawing, there still are times I'd like to move an object just "a smidge" using Ctrl+arrow. And it DOES seem to still work -- after selecting a base point, using Ctrl with an arrow key DOES move the object in small increments in the desired direction. HOWEVER, when I let go of the Ctrl key, the object jumps back to its original position.

So, once again: any way to "keep" the move?

Message 6 of 16
pendean
in reply to: invectra

NUDGE feature only showed up in LT2012: so you're doing/seeing something else in LT2010.
Message 7 of 16
invectra

Wow -- thanks for the quick reply. So, as far as you're aware, even though the object moves as desired while using arrow keys with Ctrl held down, there's no way to retain the movement? I've seen other discussions talk about using the spacebar to complete the move, but that doesn't seem to work here.

Message 8 of 16
pendean

In all old versions of AutoCAD you can start MOVE command, hold CTRL down and push your object a hand fluch of arrow key clicks (if you click too many times it bounces back).
But that's not what 2012 and later versions can do with the NUDGE feature: NUDGE is the real deal, not some half-baked attempt you find in older versions.

Upgrade if you want the real NUDGE feature.
Message 9 of 16
invectra

Once again, thanks for the quick  response. But I'm not so much interested in having the actual NUDGE command as being able to use the old technique, even if "half-baked" -- sometimes I use my AutoCAD LT to generate drawings where precise dimensions are either not important or not known until I try putting an object in a particular location. But, regardless of how few times I press an arrow key while holding down Ctrl, even just once, the object bounces back the moment I release the Ctrl key. I have to believe there is something I can do after moving the object to lock it there; otherwise, why would the program provide the means for me to be able to move it using the Ctrl+arrow technique at all? By the way -- I'm in San Diego. Any chance we could speak to one another by phone?

Message 10 of 16
invectra

Call me stubborn, but I couldn't let go of this. So, today, while working on a drawing where I wanted to "nudge" an object using the Ctrl-arrow method, I started playing around again. Found selecting an object, invoking the MOVE command, identifying a base point, TURNING ON CAPS LOCK, and then moving the object with Ctrl+arrows, letting go of Ctrl, and pressing Enter, the move "stuck!" Then just turn off Caps Lock. I'd be interested in hearing if this worked for anyone else!

Message 11 of 16
jathinnair

On Maya 2020 u can use the nudge options using alt+Arrow keys

Message 12 of 16
steven-g
in reply to: jathinnair

@jathinnair wrote:

On Maya 2020 u can use the nudge options using alt+Arrow keys

Nice to know but this is still the AutoCAD LT forum.

Message 13 of 16
jmehnert

Love nudge, but is there a way to get it to work without holding CNTL down?  Just the arrow keys - anyone?  Thanks.

Message 14 of 16
na19102

If Ctr + arrow keys still show large movements, what should I do?

Message 15 of 16
pendean
in reply to: na19102

@na19102 wrote:

If Ctr + arrow keys still show large movements, what should I do?

Zoom in closer.

Change SNAP settings

Read more here https://www.cadlinecommunity.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360005864137-AutoCAD-Fine-tuning-drawings-with-...

Message 16 of 16
na19102

Later figured it out. The F9 key worked.

Thanks for the responses though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost