Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MText titles & columns

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
gccdesign
680 Views, 13 Replies

MText titles & columns

Using LT 2011

In MS Word I can have some text that is all in one full width column, then put in a break and have a later section in multiple columns, then a break and go back to one column.

I want to do something similar in ACAD.

Here is how I want it to look.

GENERAL CONDITIONS

1.    LOTS OF BOILERPLATE                                    2.    LOTS MORE BOILERPLATE

Here is how MText does it.

GENERAL CONDITIONS                            2.    LOTS MORE BOILERPLATE

1.    LOTS OF BOILERPLATE

Is there a way to separate sections, or do I need to make the "GENERAL CONDITIONS" part a separate mtext object?

Thanks,

GChapp

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: gccdesign

No, AutoCAD is not MSWord: you'll have to introduce additional spaces as it does not separate the title from the body of the text like word processors do.

Message 3 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

Agreed it is a lousy word processor but are we sure about the Column possibilities?

MTEXT.jpg

Message 4 of 14
gccdesign

I don't want to add extra spaces (like at the top of the second column) because that messes up the column if it gets text added or resized.

So far making the title a separate mtext object and lowering the main text body object works the best for me.

But I want to be able to keep the title part of the main text body.

Thanks,

GChapp

Message 5 of 14
pendean
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Can't be properly done Charley, no matter how many times you click your heels 🙂

Message 6 of 14
pendean

Pick whichever 'evil' you are willing to tolerate and stick with it: I personally hate separate objects meant to be together.

Message 7 of 14
Charles_Shade

Though I'd ask since using that editor it was not something I do usually

Message 8 of 14
gccdesign

Please feel free to expound on what you usually do.

GChapp

Message 9 of 14
steven-g

Why not do it in Word if that is how you like to work, that way you can use all the options you want from word. Save the document then just drag it into your drawing from windows explorer. It should come in as an ole object. And if you double click it, it will opened in word to be edited.

Message 10 of 14
Charles_Shade

Well nothing,

I have a general notes Block that are part of my boilerplate and unless I get information about how the notes are not CYA I pretty much leave them alone.

Hence, why I asked.

Message 11 of 14
gccdesign

I am helping set up standard sheets and so on, and want to be able to easily put the general notes and similar things on different size sheets. Also different localities want different things on the cover sheet, so things can change.

Having the boilerplate in MText allows me to resize it and the columns will adjust nicely. I just wanted to be able to have the title for a section be in it's own space above the body of the text so that the title would always be part of the same block.

But I will just have the title be a separate MText block, that way I can lower the body of the text and still have the columns work well.

Thanks,

GChapp

Message 12 of 14
hwalker

How about doing it this way.

Put s set of tsbs in your mtext box where you want your "columns to be" and if you don't want tabs on certain lines, just highlght the text where you don't want the tabs and remove them.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 13 of 14
gccdesign
in reply to: hwalker

I assume you meant "tabs". I know what you mean, when I want tabbed spaces I do that.

What I find very useful is the dynamic columns, where you can fit the text object to different vertical distances and it will dynamically adjust the number of columns. This is useful for me when I put the same body of text on different size sheets, things like that. I don't have to re-type or anything, just resize to fit. But I wanted the title of this body of text to remain above the columns, and to do that I need to make it a separate object it seems.

Thanks,

GChapp

Message 14 of 14
Nik-D

Why not put all the text that you want into a separate drawing and XREF it in?? That way you can edit all sheets at once and the text is grouped how you like

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost