Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MText Issues

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
cdavis7254
778 Views, 19 Replies

MText Issues

We are using AutoCad LT 2012.  When I double click into an existing piece of MText, either just a piece of text or part of an MLeader, the font in the MText editor changes appearance to a different font.  We use symplex for 90% of our text.  Today it went to a block style, other times it goes to a archstyle.  When I close the editor, to closes back in the original font.  It doesn't do this every time, and it doesn't matter what drawing I'm in.  It also isn't just my computer.

Thank you,

Cary

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
bgingerich
in reply to: cdavis7254

Has it always happened (since installation) or just recently.  If just recently, what changed (MS updates, new programs...). 

There is another post here that seems to be the same thing, but no solution.

(if ("mysolution"=answer) then (click "Accept As Solution"))

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 3 of 20
cdavis7254
in reply to: bgingerich

I didn't see that thread when I searched, but yes, that's the same thing that is happening to us.  It's been a month or two, but was fortunately too busy to stop & try to fix it.  I haven't installed anything new, other than the normal Microsoft updates.  I've gotten 9 in the last 45 days. Mostly Security Updates with a Windows 7 x64 update and a junk mail filter update for Outlook.

Like the other poster said, it's mostly annoying more than something that stops me from working.

Message 4 of 20
Charles_Shade

I've had it happen from time to time and have been trying to make it happen today to see if I could find the culprit.

Thought that maybe the current Texystyle would be what the editor defaulted too but no luck. Did not see a Variable that controlled the default Text Editor text.

When it happens again I'll try to take note of what the current setup is.

Message 5 of 20
pendean

Are you saving these files down to a lower version of DWG?
Or are you opening old drawings where this occurs?
Does this happen ALL the time?
Message 6 of 20
cdavis7254
in reply to: pendean

By default, we save to 2004 format as we work with a couple of architects that don't want to upgrade.  It does this almost randomly.  I'll try to note when it does, I can't duplicate it on purpose, it just happens.

Message 7 of 20
pendean

First, uncheck the two boxes under where you set the SAVE in Options and see if that helps cure the issue.

If not, then as a test, reset the default SAVE to 2010 format for the day, then after saving your files on opening them, see if you all can repeat the problems.

You are describing an old LT2004-LT2006 problem that went away for most of us with the current LT versions.

Let us know if either or a combo of both suggestions cured it after a day long testing session in your office. Note that sugestion #2 requires you to save to the newer format before using the file(s).
Message 8 of 20
cdavis7254

Ok, I changed my settings and will go with that today to see if it stops.  If not, I'll start saving to 2010 tomorrow and see if that does it.

I'll update this this afternoon.

Thanks

Message 9 of 20
cdavis7254

The first suggestion to change the setting seems to have worked, it hasn't happened since.

Thanks

Cary

Message 10 of 20
pendean

Thanks for posting back and sharing your fix.
Message 11 of 20
cdavis7254

Any time, and thanks again for the assistance.
Message 12 of 20
Charles_Shade

Here's a random occurence of the OP's query

ScreenShot.jpg

Message 13 of 20
cdavis7254
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yes, that is exactly what happens.
Message 14 of 20
pendean

Charles is using an old SHX font that ought to be retired/replaced: is that your issu too, you are using an old (or this exact) SHX font? MTEXT doesn't handle SHX fonts well without a TTF variant in place: it does best solely with TTF fonts.

See attached: this is what I believe MTEXT reaches for when it chokes on an SHX font.

Message 15 of 20
cdavis7254

Hi Dean, I looked through the Fonts directory that was installed with LT 2012. There are only (5) .ttf files, and these where put there because an architect we work with uses those. Everything else is a .shp or .shx. We use simplex.shx for 98% of our drawings. I did make the "options" change recommended above, and am also starting to saving as a 2010 dwg.

Thanks,
Cary
Message 16 of 20
pendean

TTF fonts must be installed in the Windows Fonts folder, not the AutoCAD fonts folder. The screenshot is from Windows Fonts folder. Remember, AutoCAD is a WIndows program, much like all your other programs: it hasn't ignored system files since the move from DOS 20-years ago.

And MTEXT uses TTF fonts for display purposes: whether you use SHX fonts or not, that's why AutoCAD installed TTF versions of it's core SHX fonts in the WIndows Fonts folder (why you can use Simplex and TXT in MSWord/Excel for example).

The fixes above that you implemented should be all you need to do.

Message 17 of 20
cdavis7254

Cool, thanks for the info. I didn't ever think about that connection.

Cary
Message 18 of 20
Charles_Shade

You got a good non-TTF replacement?

Though I do not want to have to go around updating my Textstyles everywhere.

Message 19 of 20
pendean

I am the absolute wrong person to ask about arch hand lettered fonts in CAD 🙂
I suggest a TTF if you decide on a change: lots of font shops out there to browse.
Message 20 of 20
Charles_Shade

I try to stay away from the TTF's. They tend to bog the drawing down with Zoom and Pan.

(I'm doing some additional reading on the subject)

(Sorry to hijack your thread with my query.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost