Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetypes Will not Purge

119 REPLIES 119
SOLVED
Message 1 of 120
Mcdowall
85829 Views, 119 Replies

Linetypes Will not Purge

Hi,

So i have all these linetypes (see image) that i think originated in Microstation and have appeared on my computer when i binded a few DWGs derived from DGNs. (I can explain all that more if you think its warrented).

This is basicly what keeps happening.

- I open a brand new template, all line types are there (usual: dashed, phantom etc).

- I can work away happily, untill i copy something (a line, text, circle....) from a drawing that has these linetypes and BAM they all appear in the new drawing.

In this way, the linetypes have 'spread' into quite a few dwg's, and i cannot get rid of them once they are in the drawing and its saved.

A few other things....

- Other people in the office can open the drawings on their computers = NO weird Linetypes appear. Some open it and they do appear. (so if you open the dwg attached to this and find no linetypes, i dont know why!)

- The linetypes wont purge due to being in use etc

I would say the problem has originated from when I binded the xrefs, which is fine, but how to i fix it now?

The two main xrefs that appear to be referenced in the linetypes description are being used by other people in the workplace so i cant just delete them and start again.

Hopefully someone has as idea of what I can do/try to fix the problem!

Linetypes.JPG

119 REPLIES 119
Message 41 of 120
pendean
in reply to: ccleong

If truly unused and they are only AutoCAD-based linetypes then WBLOCK out the model content of your file to create a new one will leave them behind usually.
Message 42 of 120

IF WORKS! I had civil drawings that spread linetypes that wouldn't purge.

The WBLOCK to DXF, Purge, and SAVEAS back to the original file worked for me. (Takes less than a minute.)

Thanks to those that figured it out.

Message 43 of 120

how did you find this way?
I didn't expect it work for me, but it did exactly what i was trying to do.
thank you very much.
Shahrokh Sobhani
Civil Engineer
SNC Lavalin Inc.,
Toronto, Canada
Message 44 of 120
3Y_Tomasz
in reply to: Mcdowall

I have a slightlly different problem with unused and unwanted linetypes. In general a drawing takas around 4,8 MB (dwg attached) and has only few tables inside.

I think it has somethink to do with a number of strangly looking linetypes (see screenshot attached)

I tried many thinks and none of them worked:

- Deleting all items, leaving the 'empty' drawing and purging did not help (empty drawing still has 4,8 MB)

- WBLOCK - did not help (linetypes migrated as well)

- Audit and purge commands - did not help

- copying and pasting to a new file did not help

- INSERT command to a new file did not help.

I would appreciate some advice.

Many thanks

Message 45 of 120
cdavis7254
in reply to: 3Y_Tomasz

Try the dxf fix. Use the "dxfout" command, then use the "dxfin" command. After opening the dxf, you will need to "save-as" to a dwg. This usually removes them.
Message 46 of 120
sobhani_sh

I purged unused line types, but file size is the same.

Shahrokh Sobhani
Civil Engineer
SNC Lavalin Inc.,
Toronto, Canada
Message 47 of 120
trunyan
in reply to: pendean

As noted the dxfout and then dxfin will work. Then just purge the drawing. Here is the file reduced via dxf

Message 48 of 120
pendean
in reply to: 3Y_Tomasz

Your file contains the following:
DGN Linetypes Purged : 66
DGN Complex Linetypes Purged : 81375
DGN Text Styles Purged : 10

LT alone cannot clean them out, you need full AutoCAD and the DGN linetype fix posted by Autodesk. Or the dxf tip noted above.

Here is your file back.

Message 49 of 120
sobhani_sh

yes dxfout works. see the attached file.

Shahrokh Sobhani
Civil Engineer
SNC Lavalin Inc.,
Toronto, Canada
Message 50 of 120
dreno99
in reply to: katrin.sullivan

This method worked for me. But, I would like to know why the linetypes show up in the first place. I started with a new drawing from an unmodified copy of acad.dwt. All looks OK. I copied ONE LINE (and only one line) from the messed up drawing. It brought all the linetypes with it (see attach). We are an arch/mechanical shop - I have no idea where the civil linetypes came from.

dr

Autocrud r2013

Message 51 of 120

Thank you very much for this great idea

It works perfectely

I had a file with 26 MB and more, After using your way it has become 2.7 MB

Thank you again, Wish you all success

Ahmed Karem

Tags (1)
Message 52 of 120
toma
in reply to: Glenn_Beasley

I had linetype problems when subs would send us their drawings. Some clients prefer CAD standards and to use what we call a checker. So if you create a standards file (.dws) with only the layers you want and asssociated linetypes (empty drawing) you can use this file in a drawing when you type "checkstandards". Load your .dws file with your layers and linetypes. Once loaded close the checker despite it saying you are not finished. Next use the command "laytrans" click load and select your .dws file again. then click map same. (dont save mapping information). then click translate. after this is done you can type "linetypes" and the box will appear with all the crapy linetypes. right click and select all.. you can now delete.. At least this worked for me. Be sure to save a back up incase u ruin your drawings.

Message 53 of 120
toma
in reply to: toma

"linetype" sorry not "linetypes"

Message 54 of 120
pendean
in reply to: toma

No "DWS" and no CHECKSTANDARDS and no LAYTRANS in LT where you are posting.

Good advise but aimed at all the wrong people and wrong software.
Message 55 of 120
toma
in reply to: pendean

Hah.. oops I'm writting about AutoCAD 2013 and up.. not sure what AutoCAD LT is.. Sorry bout that

Message 56 of 120
RGreeno_21
in reply to: Johneng

I was having the same problems with multiple drawings and this was the ultimate fix for this problem. I am using AutoCAD 2013.

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Adrawingpu...

Run the DWG_PURGE and it will purge all of the unwanted layers and linetypes that come through from the Civil 3D and Architectural 3D files.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you install this add-on the commands will only work with your AutoDesk account when you sign-in upon opening AutoCAD.

Message 57 of 120

Hi everyone,

Please note this has been fixed finally as a hot fix by Autodesk, the problems originated from DGN linetypes introduced into AutoCAD drawings. As we know these programs don't always play nice in the sandbox together,

Below is the hotfix,

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-C2-AE-dgn-hot...

I apologize for not keeping up with forum activities and will endeavor to be more attentive.

~Kat

Message 58 of 120

Does this hotfix work with LT?

Message 59 of 120
inbox.saj
in reply to: katrin.sullivan

This is something that everyone needs to know about...!!! I wish I knew about this months ago!!! Thanks..

Message 60 of 120
joshuafisher.jf

Figured out an easy way to delete all these linetypes, as WBLOCK was not working for me.

When you have the file open with a rediculous amount of linetypes, Save the file as a '.dxf' > Close the new .dxf file  > open the .dxf from the location in which you saved it (yes, you have to close it then re-open it) > then run 'PURGE' from this file, it will now erase all these linetypes, and save it back as a .dwg

You'll notice a much smaller file size (which for me was about 1/10th the original file size)

Important Note: Insure you 'AUDIT' the .dxf file once you 'PURGE' all these linetypes, as CAD will discover a lot of errors it did not previously want to. (some of my files have had 20,000+ errors)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost