Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LT Version Questions Regarding Customization, Etc.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jackknife33
206 Views, 3 Replies

LT Version Questions Regarding Customization, Etc.

I am working on (more like was thrown into) a project for my company. They are looking at changing over from their current use of a program called Anvil into using AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT. I was asked to try and find out some additional information regarding differences, etc.

I understand that the biggest difference is 2D vs. 3D. I also know (from my experience with using the full blown Inventor package previously and now only having the LT package that I infrequently use with this company) that there is a lot of the major functionality that I was used to in AutoCAD that is lost in the LT version.

One thing I am not familiar with though is "customization" of either. One of the questions I need answered is whether LT can be customized through using List, VB, etc.??

Another issue I was asked about I am unfamiliar with....AutoLISP. They said they had heard there was an AutoLISP toolkit for Lite and that we might need it??? I don't even understand what it does. I tried looking up some information about this on the net, but I still don't think I have a good grasp of exactly what it's function is except that it maybe is like a macro program for AutoCAD?? Anyway, I did see a couple of sites selling AutoLISP for LT up to the most recent version, but I couldn't find any information here at Autodesk regarding whether they sold or included any AutoLISP program specifically for the LT version. I did find out through other avenues that AutoLISP for AutoCAD is now called VisualLISP, but I sort of got the feeling that this isn't used in the LT version???

I really need some answers fairly quick! Any help anyone can give me would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jason
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jackknife33

Autodesk has disabled Lisp, AutoLisp, VB, ActiveX Automation and ARX
customizations in LT: buying or creating software to reverse these is listed
in the LT User License Agreement as a violation of the LT license and open
to prosecution. Unless, like these add-on authors, you can hide in a foreign
land with cover from Autodesk.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Anvil is more closely related to INVENTOR
from Autodesk and not plain AutoCAD or LT (both of which are created for
everyone and no one at the same time): why the move to what amounts to a
non-manufacturing CAD platform? What you save in the cost of software will
more than likely be spent trying to find or write customizations to fill in
the gaps.

I suggest as part of your investigations you download and try any CAD
package you consider worthy first while you make inquiries, it would be
easier to test things yourself that read second hand notes without being
able to explore.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 4
Charles_Shade

The Lisp enablers are not sanctioned by Autodesk. Search here and you will find many diatribes on the subject. Most will warn you to stay away. LT is programmable thru keystroke type macros and embedded DIESEL functions amoungst others. Speaking as someone who has never used full or any of the vertical products, you don't miss what you don't know.

LT is built to handle 2D drafting and is very hands on in that regard. You may find macro's and other help here for specific functions if you decide to go the LT route.

Use this discussions serach for LT versus Full; there are some detailed answers here.

regards,

cshade
Message 4 of 4
jackknife33

Thanks for the reply regarding the LISP feature. I'll be sure to let them know that ONLY AutoCAD carries the "VisualLISP feature and we need to steer clear of the other if going with LT.

Regarding the ANVIL software....it is the type of software your talking about, but the version we are using is from the late 90's, ANVIL-5000. It doesn't even carry support anymore from what I understand and I think we're only using the 2D side of it.

What's happening, is that a guy who writes software for our company has created a program that creates a dwg. from a list of inputs in a Windows type program. This creates a .dxf which is then in turn put into a conversion program which transfers the .dxf into the ANVIL program in a 2D drawing format. Unfortunately, when the drawing is converted all of the dimesnional data is blown apart into seperate non-associative entities. The drafter still has to go through a pretty hefty process of re-dimensioning the entire set of drawings created. This is slowing down processes especially on some of the more intense assemblies.

Since the program is actually creating a .dxf file and the original drawing is created in AutoCAD LT before it is converted, they are wanting to evaluate the time savings, etc. that could be gained by not having to run the conversion issue and just using AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT. There are several other issues that they want to look into before a full consideration is made (such as associativity, problems with importing the CAD files into TeamCenter, etc.), but these are the only things that I am being asked to look into right now (one nightmare at a time if you know what I mean).

Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost