Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LT 2013 Program keeps locking up when saving

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
katie1994
486 Views, 14 Replies

LT 2013 Program keeps locking up when saving

This issue has been an irritant for a few days and today is almost constant. When I do a quicksave the program hangs up and I get a Program Not Responding message. The panels all go white and the desktop is ghosted like there is a film across the screen and I have to wait 2-3 or more minutes for things to resolve. Any ideas anyone?

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sthompson1021
in reply to: katie1994

Hi, are you saving to your computer or to a network drive?

Message 3 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: sthompson1021

Typically we save to a network drive, but I have also tried saving to my desktop with the same results. The entire program is sluggish. I have tried opening a series of small drawings and each one, on the network, results in a Not Responding message and takes several minutes to open.

I downloaded an update this morning to see if that would help, and have rebooted twice but the problem seems to be getting worse.

Message 4 of 15

If you unplug from the network and try opening a file, is the problem still there?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 5 of 15

I don't know, how do you unplug from a network? This is an office computer and I dont' know if that is under my control.

Message 6 of 15
sthompson1021

To unplug from the network, all you have to do is pull the network cable out of the back of the computer. Do you know if you've had any automatic updates to your system since this started happening?

Message 7 of 15
katie1994

The IT guy is looking into this. He thinks it is a problem with how the VM Fusionware is interacting with the program. I am working on a Mac Pro desktop running OS X and Windows. 

And yes, I did download an update yesterday, and rebooted twice.

Message 8 of 15
hwalker

Ah I'm afraid all the users here use Windows PC.

If you click on the link below it will take you to the Mac forums, and they should be able to give you more help there.

Autocad for Mac forums

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: hwalker

Technially I am on a PC, the IT guy worked on things yesterday and had me set the Workspace Settings to 2D Drafting and Annotations which seems to help a bit. He also increased the memory.

Now the issues seems to have settled down to problems when I use Quicksave. I hit Command+S, wait a few seconds for the save to finish, the cursor changes to an arrow and stays. When I click on the drawing it freezes up for 30-60 seconds, panels go blank and the header has (not responding) next to the drawing nam. Then the cursor changes to to cross hairs and all is normal again.

Tags (2)
Message 10 of 15
pendean

Looks like there is a delay with your system communicating with the lcoation of the files. When you save (no such thing as a quick save in LT) AutoCAD first creates a TMP file, then deletes the old BAK file, renames the DWG file to BAK, then renames the TMP file to DWG. That's a lot to do when you save a file: any pauses by the OS for any of those steps and it does appear to the user that it is taking forever.

MSWord does the same thing by the way, especially if you turn on backup file creation in it. Not a unique process at all.

Good thing is now you know TMP files are not trash if you ever come across one in your project folders 🙂
Message 11 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

The command line says Quicksave when I save in LT 2013.

So why did this start happening? I had made no changes to my system prior to the problem onset. 

Message 12 of 15
pendean

QSAVE is a full AutoCAD feature that saves your curent file (not quickly, it just bypasses the pop-up, hence it's quicker, aka quick).
SAVE is the command in LT, it does the same thing. No pop-up. hence, "quick'.
SAVE in AutoCAD brings up a pop: it lets you create a new file from your current file WITHOUT you ever having to leave your current file. Which is different from SAVEAS where you end up being in the new file and your current file is left behind as is.

As for your system's recent hiccups I have no idea, I have no access to your system or your setup: perhaps a system updated or software add/delete or a network action by your IT folks. They are best at trying to help you out since there is little you can do about system performances inside LT (or any other software).
Message 13 of 15
sthompson1021

When I asked before if you had any automatic updates recently, I was not talking about downloading the service pack for autocad. I was refering to windows updates that seem to come everyother day. I'm not sure if that happens with your setup using a macbook but I had probably 20 different updates this past weekend from Microsoft. It didn't mess with autocad but it did hose up my internet explorer. They have been known to cause problems with autocad though so that might be something to have your IT check on.

Message 14 of 15
pendean

Windows Automatic Updates need to be turned off, agreed. Here is the mess created last week from updated by Microsoft:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/3-more-botched-windows-patches-kb-2803821-kb-2840628-an...
Message 15 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the link and article. I turned off Windows automatic updates but the IT department is going to have to figure out how to fix what Wilndows hath wrot on my computer. That would explain some of the issues with other programs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost