Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inster a field to show the current date

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
CKNidge
9191 Views, 16 Replies

Inster a field to show the current date

Hi,

I thought i had the fields thing sorted lol. I have placed a field directly into my paper space ( not in a block ) to show the current date. This is a company requirement so when the drawing is printed, it shows the date of printing. The field just shows the date that the field was inserted and doesnt update. If i replace it, i get todays date but it stays on the date.

Does anyone know how to get this to always show the current date?

thanks

Nidge

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: CKNidge

I just tried a field in mine with date and time, to test. The one I found that works is the Save Date. If you save, then it updates. Do you have that same option?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 17
CKNidge

Hey Bob,

thanks for taking the time to answer. I guess the time will tell tomorrow to see if the date has updated. I dod think about a save date but not all drwings are saved because we have some inexperienced users who open drawings and unfortunately we cannot restrict this. To combat the problem, i made a script that closes without saving. We have a separate date that is static. This date is set when the drawing is created or updated as a revison.

I'll have more of a tinker. Im in the process of adding a field for ALL possible date options. Whichever one has updated on Monday is the kiddie lol 🙂

Cheers

Nidge

Message 4 of 17
pendean

To update a FIELD, you must REGEN or REGENALL: could that be the problem? Also, what 'date' choice are you selecting?

Sine you are in LT, explore the ancient command REVDATE: you can use it as you wish, only update it when deliberately activated. Delete from the block what you don't want, the command still finds it and only updates what's left.

Message 5 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

Look at the FIELDEVAL variable if you by some chance never REGEN and need this to be updated to the days date when plotted.

I use SaveDate but you could also choose PlotDate for the Field.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Kudos + gladly accepted if you are feeling magnanimous

Message 6 of 17
heinsite

PlotDate is the field you need for this.

Dave

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 7 of 17
CKNidge

Hi,

i looked at the FIELDEVAL. Mine was set to 31. The options in the help file state-

0 - Not Updated

1 - Updated on open

2 - Updated on save

4 - Updated on plot

8 - Updated on use of ETRANSMIT

16 - Updated on regeneration.

No mention of 31. These look like they go up in bits. The help file referas to another variable called UPDATEFIELD which actually updates the date but, its manual only and you have to select the field in order for it to be updated.

I set my FIELDEVAL to 1 ( updated on open ) but it still doesnt do anything.....

I have already tried the PLOTDATE & SAVEDATE & DATE all of which, do not show the current date i.e. the today date.

@Pendean

i know the page has to be Regen in order to show the update already. Thanks for the tip though 🙂

Cheers

Nidge

Message 8 of 17
CKNidge

Hi,

Im hoping that i have a solution......

I've added a field, selected 'Diesel Expression', added this as the expression -

$(edtime,$(getvar,date),DD-MO-YY)

Saved.

Surely, this should work. Time will tell tomorrow lol. Im not allowed to change the date on my work PC!

Cheers

nidge

Message 9 of 17
hwalker

@CKNidge wrote:

Hi,

i looked at the FIELDEVAL. Mine was set to 31. The options in the help file state-

0 - Not Updated

1 - Updated on open

2 - Updated on save

4 - Updated on plot

8 - Updated on use of ETRANSMIT

16 - Updated on regeneration.

No mention of 31. These look like they go up in bits. The help file referas to another variable called UPDATEFIELD which actually updates the date but, its manual only and you have to select the field in order for it to be updated.

I set my FIELDEVAL to 1 ( updated on open ) but it still doesnt do anything.....

I have already tried the PLOTDATE & SAVEDATE & DATE all of which, do not show the current date i.e. the today date.

@pendean

i know the page has to be Regen in order to show the update already. Thanks for the tip though 🙂

Cheers

Nidge

The 31 is relevant although it may not seem it.

With variables like this you add the numbers to get the variable to work in multiple instances

eg FIELDEVAL set to 17 tells it to Update on Opening AND Update on Regeneration

If you add 1+2+4+8+16 you will find the answer is 31

So your Field should have updated if any of the above conditions were met

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 10 of 17
Charles_Shade

Post your file or an example if you can.

Message 11 of 17
pendean

They get to 31 with addition: add up a few of the numbers you listed to find the one that gets you 31.

Message 12 of 17
CKNidge

Hi Dean,

yes someone had already mentioned that. Shame the help files dont explain in the same simple way lol.

like i said earlier, i have placed a Diesel expression to sho the date. it works on my right click menu so i remain hopeful lol

Cheers

Nidge

Message 13 of 17
pendean

Sentence right above the table says... 🙂

"The setting is stored as a bitcode using the sum of the following values:"

Message 14 of 17
CKNidge

Ah, well there you have it then lolSmiley Embarassed

Cheers for the clarification Smiley Happy

i'll let you know tomorrow if my date fix works.

Nidge

Message 15 of 17
CKNidge

Well,

my fix worked a treat yay Smiley Very Happydate.PNG

Cheers

nisge

Message 16 of 17
Shalzzz

Thanks. it helped me a lot within no time
Message 17 of 17
vaamarietta

What if I also want to add the time?

12/07/2015 - 11:30am

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost