Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible version error

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
WWO
Community Visitor
1236 Views, 7 Replies

Incompatible version error

We recently bought the latest version of AutoCadLT.  At the same time, we bought a new laptop.  When I try to open any AutoCadLT file   created in a previous version of AutoCadLT, I receive an error message telling me that the file cannot be opened because it was created in an incompatible version of AutoCad.

How the heck can AutoCad be incompatible with AutoCad?

We've been running AutoCad and AutoCad LT for years.  Never had any such problem when upgrading from one version to a later version.

Please help.

Thanks,

Bill O'Donnell

Flint Hydraulics, Inc.

Memphis, TN 901-573-5472 (M)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: WWO

Post a DWG with this problem: we all have "the latest" too.
Message 3 of 8
WWO
Community Visitor
in reply to: pendean

Don't know how to put one of the files into this post.  Tried copying and pasting, no dice.  Tried clicking and dragging, no dice.    The attachment box at the bottom appears only to work if the user has access to our company's server - that isn't going to happen, of course.   Sorry to be so inept.  If it doesn't have oil in it, I know nothing about it. 

Surely I can't be the only one getting this strange error - incompatible version of AutoCad.  If someone at AutoCad monitors this site, perhaps he or she would respond, at least to tell me how it is possible for AutoCad to be incompatible with AutoCad.

I guess we can ask AutoCad to refund our money, but that just means I'll have to start from zero with some other drawing program.

Thanks for any advice.

Bill O'Donnell

Flint Hydraulics, Inc.

Memphis, TN

901-573-5472

Message 4 of 8
pendean

That's a teeny tiny file: what's in it, a single line? 25k is an empty file my friend: what is it supposed to actually contain?
Message 5 of 8
pendean

Open your file in Windows Notepad: there is no header.
Every valid file on your computer has a header you can read, two to six letters and a set of numbers that are related to the file type.
For example, DWG files have a AC1027 or some lower number; PDFs have a PDF-1.4 or similar, Excel has a PK 'something".XML and so on.
Your posted file is all gibberish: so not only is the exceptionally low size a major indicator it's not valid, the lack of a header also means it's completely destroyed.

AutoCAD "latest" is just reporting what it is able to decipher from the tragedy that is your dead file.

PS: AutoCAD 2015 reports that this is an INVALID FILE, no message about a newer or incompatible format.
Message 6 of 8
Charles_Shade

Sorry to jump the thread but I too am having a client using 2015 who is not reading a file saved in the 2010 format.

Similar situation perhaps?

I'm still investigating whether or not the original file was created in an AutoCAD product but this is like pulling teeth for some reason.

I too receive a foreign file warning when opening in 2014 but the drawing reads fine except for many many line segments of everything. Especially circles. I have asked if this is an exploded 3D drawing though do not know if it was flattened.

Message 7 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Charles_Shade

"not reading" have been reported in 2013 versions of AutoCAD by other users, and I have seen a report or two from 2015 users too. It's unusual and the fix seems to be simply changing the save-format of the file.

As for your posted screenshot: it's usually a sign the file was last saved in another CAD program altghough I have seen it here on occasion from 2011 archived files when 2014/15 users open them.
Message 8 of 8
Charles_Shade

Thanks.

Was thinking it is a Save issue as well

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost