Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't control the size of the multiline text box

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
katie1994
20686 Views, 31 Replies

I can't control the size of the multiline text box

This has been happening intermittently but now seems to be permanent. When I slect the Multiline tool, click to place the text box, then click to place the other corner the box ignores the size I set and snaps to as wide as the screen and one line high. It does this in several different drawings so it is not native to one. If I enter text and deselect I can adjust the handles and alter the text.

I have attached a screen shot to show. It doesn't matter how close or far I am zoomed in on the drawing.

For what it's worth I do not like the way the ribbon panel controls handle text, it usually takes multiple tries to get it to change the text height. I usually resort to using the Properties flyout but that adds mutltple steps to the process.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

OK, here is a dwg with the problem. It seems to be consistant across all drawings I have opened. What is confusing is that this just happened without my making any changes, working in a drawing that I have been using for over a month.

Message 22 of 32
pendean
in reply to: katie1994

TEXTSIZE is set to 1/8", your active text STYLE height is set to 0.
All your already-drawn text is 24" high.

You seem to be drawing really tiny text objects using TEXT or MTEXT commands. That's all. Change your settings.
Message 23 of 32
sthompson1021

When I opened your dwg, your text height was set to 1/8" when I started the MTEXT command. That's why the text box appeared so narrow in model space. When I changed it to 8" it looked better. Like I said earlier, I have had the WYSIWYG setting change on me for no apparent reason. Can't explain why it does it, but it does.

Message 24 of 32
katie1994
in reply to: sthompson1021

Thanks, that seems to be the answer. It is very weird though because I NEVER enter text height info at the command line and I swear it happened without any intervention on my part during a drawing session, it was fine one minute and wrong the next. 

And why is the setting the same in all drawings? Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 32
sthompson1021

All I can say is somedays you like autocad, and somedays autocad don't like you!!!
Message 26 of 32
Anonymous

Even I encountered this problem. Here are the steps to correct it:

1. Type MTEXT and press Enter.
  2. Click to select 1st corner of text window.
  3. Type 'h' and press Enter.
  4. Specify the text height (I use a text height of 3 for Mech Drawings; your screenshot suggests that you use it for Architecture so go with your own text height).
  5. Click to select other corner of your text window.
  6. Now the text height becomes default.
  7. Type your Text.
Message 27 of 32
pendean

It appears you don't have any preferred standards set in your file, or in your template: you relied on a preset (I presume TEXTSIZE variable) and once that changed somehow it threw you out of your comfort zone.

You have to take control: set up standards (either text STYLE set to a text height or manually assign TEXTSIZE in a template and always use it). Don't ever assume a vatriable will never change once set, that's not likely to ever be true. If there is a limitation on why you cannot set template files, use ToolPalettes or Scripts files or have a list of variables tapped to your monitor that you manually change in a drawing that is acting weird.
Post back if you need help setting these things up: I don't wish to sound mean but the truth is you cannot be an AutoCAD patsy 🙂
Own it, take control.
Message 28 of 32
sthompson1021

Dean, while I agree with much of what you are saying, on the text height issue it depends on how you use autocad. For me, I always have text height set to 0 in my text styles because I use single line text more then Mtext and I like to have the prompt for text height. When I use Mtext I just change the height in the text editor. As long as the user is aware of how the system works, it really boils down to his or her preference. As far as the changing system variables, isn't that why we have youSmiley Surprised

Message 29 of 32
pendean
in reply to: sthompson1021

I totally agree with your entire post, and I was only trying to emphasize what you just said which appears to have beenthe main problem in this thread (no insult intended for the OP, not knowing is why they are here):
"...As long as the user is aware of how the system works...."
Message 30 of 32
katie1994

To answer both of you, we do have preset templates with universal standards.  We use the same non-annotative font, always set to 0 in Format>Text Style dialog box. Each drawing uses the same base template. Some of these issues and suggestions are things I have never encounted since I do not need to set or alter them.

Somewhere, somehow, the text height variable was changed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it's been educational.

Oh yes, I discovered that I can turn ON the text editor toolbox and don't need to use the ribbon or Quick Properties.Smiley Wink

Message 31 of 32
ahujt836
in reply to: hwalker

But, what if you require Annotative Text for the drawing? Do you have to change it after you create the text box? For this specific set of drawings, I'm specifically required to use Annotative Text for my assignment. Thank you! 

Message 32 of 32
hwalker

I think they patched out that problem. I use annotative text and the WYSIWYG setting and have no problems with the text. Just remember it will change the width of the text box itself depending on what scale you use.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost