Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop AutoCAD from creating viewport layer overrides?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
gary
342 Views, 1 Reply

How to stop AutoCAD from creating viewport layer overrides?

Hello - 

How can I stop AutoCAD (LT 2009, for now) from deciding that layer properties are overridden when I have not actually overridden properties for those layers?

For example:  I have a drawing with, say, >100 layers and 20 layer tabs, each with viewports.  I change the viewport layer properties for selected layers in some viewports.   At some point later I notice that AutoCAD has changed the properties for ALL (or at least most) of the layers in some of the viewports to "overridden by viewport" and are highlighted blue (but the  "overridden" properties all the same as the non-overridden properties for each layer that I did not override).  So now if I want to change the global properties for a layer the properties will not change in any of the viewports where AutoCAD has changed the layer properties to "overridden".  

This does not happen all the time, and I can't tell when it has happened until I open the layers dialog box for a viewport and see everything highlighted blue, so I don't know what I might have done that might trigger this.  (If this is a know bug that was fixed in a later version of AutoCAD, I would gladly upgrade.)

I will be grateful for any suggestions.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
pendean
in reply to: gary

Are you using the AutoCAD commands LAYFRZ and/or LAYOF while editing your file in or through a viewport? Both commands have a SETTINGS option for you to decide whether the actions become overrides or not. Look both up in HELP and explore.

Otherwise you or someone in the file are deliberately using the far right columns in LAYER command's pop-up that appear on the far right only when inside a viewport or using VPLAYER to edit your viewport layers.

AutoCAD, alone, by itself, doesn't make a modelspace layer setting a viewport layer overide setting by itself. Watch what you are doing when this happens those few times.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost