Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix a keystroke to just one command?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
katie1994
703 Views, 14 Replies

How to fix a keystroke to just one command?

I'm not sure how to phrase this question but here is the issue:

I am testing the LT 2012 version in Windows. I want to use the pan command which used to be a easily visible button, one click. In 2012 I have to go to View>Pan to acess the button, 2 clicks, If I type P I get a popup menu with every command starting with a P, with Pan at the top, click on Pan, 2 clicks again.

So, can I move the Pan button to the Home tab to make it simpler? Can I edit something so when I type P it knows I mean Pan and don't have to make another choice? 

This is really slowing down my process and work flow, it's like stutter! Used to be a seamless flow of click, click, click. Now it is click, pause, search, click, pause, search, click.

And please, in your replies, if any, give me complete details and instructions. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't have to ask the question.

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: katie1994

LT2012 is no different than other versions, P and <enter> still works: it would appear you are being distracted by a new "helpful" feature on screen and assuming you have to do more than previously. Look up and turn off AUTOCOMPLETE variable.

The VIEW tab on the Ribbon has the PAN button if you prefer to seek-and-click commands: CUI command is there for you to move or copy it to any other locations, or you can turn on MENUBAR for the old pulldowns (and access it through VIEW menu), or add it to the top of your right-click menu.

Message 3 of 15
bgingerich

This is to put the Pan button on the Home tab.

Type in cui at the command line.  That should bring up "Customize User Interface."  In the middle of the left panel search for pan. 

Now, in the top of the left panel, drop down "Ribbon" and "Panels."  Scroll down to a group of panels labeled "Home - ..."  Drop down the one you want to put it in.  Then, go back down to your pan command that you searched for and drag it into that top-left panel in the dialog box in a row that you want it in. 

There, you just added the button to the Home tab.  You might have to restart autocad to see it.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 4 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, that was just what I needed to know. I experimented and set the AUTOCOMPLETE delay to 1 second, that gives me time to react before the extended menu appears.

Message 5 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: bgingerich

Thanks, next step for me is to experiment with the Ribbon to figure out how best to use and/or adapt it. My first impulse is always to set it as close to possible to my previous work setup, but often discover commands I have never or seldom used as I explore the new layouts.

Message 6 of 15
pendean

A simpler way would be to just grab PAN from the command list in the CUI and place it where you want (and not remove it from the VIEW tab's panel).

Message 7 of 15
bgingerich

Wasn't that what I was explaining to katie?  (see screenshot of my last post)  I was just trying to give detail because of

"And please, in your replies, if any, give me complete details and instructions. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't have to ask the question."

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 8 of 15
katie1994

Don't fight! Yes, I do appreciate details in advice. Step by step is best to those of us who know how to use the program but tend to set it up at the start and forget how we got it there 3-4 years later. I know that many of these issues are easily solved but I often don't know what the reference words are to find the solution myself.

By the way, I liked the "Helpful" comment in quotes. In moving from 2008 to 2012 I am finding that improvements aren't necessarily an improvement. My usual method is to limit the set up of commands to those I use the most, then add others as the need arises. Too many cluttering up the screen just slows me down. It could be that I am using the program on a relatively simple basis even for LT.

Message 9 of 15
bgingerich

I didn't mean to sound defensive.   (To be perfectly honest, I learned what I told you from Dean and Charlie Shade) ***excuse me CharlesSmiley Indifferent***

Sorry.

Brandon Gingerich
Message 10 of 15
Kate_LT

If you're using a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can also just press-and-hold the scroll wheel to pan.

Kate Morrical
Technical Marketing Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
LT Unlimited
Message 11 of 15
katie1994
in reply to: Kate_LT

Yes, I found that one by chance. But I would still like to know how to turn off that extra menu.

Message 12 of 15
Charles_Shade

MBUTTONPAN set to 1 of course.

I created a Panel of oft used commands and placed it on each Tab so it is always in the Ribbon for me.

Less hunt and peck

Message 13 of 15
tom.remedios

Pressing the scroll button just activates the Windows Instant Viewer on my 2012 LT.  Nothing I've tried seems to activate it. I've set MBUTTONPAN to 1.  In the PC control panel, the mouse scroll button is set for Instant Viewer but I've tried to enable program specific control of the wheel button but there is no PAN selection.  I thought Autocad would supercede the control panel buttons.  Any ideas?  It slows me down to manually select the Pan command.

Message 14 of 15
pendean
in reply to: tom.remedios

You mouse driver's middle button setting needs to be SCROLL or MIDDLE BUTTON or some other generic description.

You mouse driver controls your mouse, AutoCAD will not override it.

Start experimenting with all the middle button options in the mouse driver until you find the one that works.

Message 15 of 15
tom.remedios

thanks Dean.

I set the middle button to AUTOSCROLL and the wheel pan is working now.  Much appreciated.

Tom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost