Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grouped object ungroups after copy and paste. Using LT2012 on a W7 machine

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
dtmitch
23424 Views, 13 Replies

Grouped object ungroups after copy and paste. Using LT2012 on a W7 machine

I'm using LT2012 on a W7 machine.

Is there  a way to preserve grouping after I copy it and paste some copies elswhere in a drawing. I've looked far and wide but haven't seen a way to do it. Or, is that a "feature" in AC.

Thanks

Dave M

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: dtmitch

That's how it works: if you want a more permanent grouping, use BLOCK command to create a "block".

Message 3 of 14
KateMorricalTowne
in reply to: dtmitch

Use COPY instead of COPYCLIP to maintain groups within a drawing. Between drawings, though, you'll need to re-create the group or use a block.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 4 of 14
info
in reply to: KateMorricalTowne

Hi!

Use the insert command and browse for your file with groups. The file is inserted as block. Explode it and the groups are still there. Currently working with 2015 LT.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 14
pendean
in reply to: info

This assumes you have few groups in a file and take the time to find the cryptic name of the group, then start INSERT command, then hunt and peck for it: good tip but impractical for most in a hurry.

Since the need for groups is so, well, temporary and generic but the need is speed and fast that the average user doesn't care about naming it (vs creating a BLOCK or your method), I prefer to use CTRL+SHIFT+V (aka PASTEBLOCK) when pasting a group I copy from another file. It's just as name-useless as the group and I don't have to sweat hunting for the group name first.

FYI: re-grouping is so fast in LT2015 that option is also valid in the new file.

Message 6 of 14
info
in reply to: pendean

Hi!

I haven't named groups at all and have dozens of them in my files. Mainly I use them to make selection of overlapping objects easier and it makes also copying them faster. I was currently changing layer and pen settings for a project hat had several files. Instead of pushing thru hundreds of layers in each file I decided to copy paste all information into one of the files. Then I made my changes and after that I can re-save the file with new names for the other files (ans simply delete excess objects form each). Noticed that my precios groups disappeared while directly copy-pasting - even paste as block. However inserting the whole file in a block the groups remained. This is a way to transfer groups from dile to file if the usage of groups is mainly to keep selection easy and allow for example strectching which is not possible with blocks. Blocks otherwise are superior to avoid repetitive work. Have a good day!

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 14
mcweb

@infowrote:

Hi!

Use the insert command and browse for your file with groups. The file is inserted as block. Explode it and the groups are still there. Currently working with 2015 LT.

I used this in ACAD 2017, and it works great. I had a dwg with lots of groups (Carlson Survey points) that I wanted to transfer.

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
amir
in reply to: KateMorricalTowne

Can somehow the AutoCAD change the system to make the group possible to be copy and paste to another drawing?

Coz if to regroup it back one by one, it could be long time.. Why AutoCAD make the system like that?

Coz for me, i like to use group, it is easy to edit, not like block we need to enter another room or it will pause all other things when editing the block. Mean group is more flexible then block. i do use block for fix items which no need to be edit.

I was thinking, if the AutoCAD cannot change the system, it is possible to create a copy paste lisp? but how do it refer?
I think that if somehow we can use lisp to change the selection item to detect a group, then group will auto block with the group name with default base point, then on another drawing, when paste it change back from the block, it unblock and regroup back.

but it not possible coz to paste from other drawing, only have CTRL+V options..

I find that we can import drawing, and properties of group is maintain, but you will have to import overall drawing. and not that particular things.

Message 9 of 14
pendean
in reply to: amir

BLOCK is the answer.

What you want will never happen.
Message 10 of 14
steven-g

And Lisp isn't going to help you if you are using LT. Go with blocks.

Message 11 of 14
amir
in reply to: pendean

Why it cant happen? it is the system or somethings else..

@steven-g well i am using autocad full version.. and still it cannot do that..

Why dont we all make a report to autocad on this, so it is worth to buy autocad afterthis.

@steven-g & @pendean well, that is i use currently.. and i have to block over hundred different group one-by-one.. chilling every time i do.. coz all item is not a fix item, so need to re-edit if have changes.. every fix item i can easily store on template..

Message 12 of 14
steven-g

That is the difference between groups and blocks, a group is a loose collection of items that you want to be able to perform some actions on possibly repeatedly without having to reselect individual items each time throughout the life of a drawing. If you intend to be able to copy that group and use it multiple times or across different drawings then that is what a block is designed for, it is a question of foresight and planning. Groups are not designed to behave the same way as blocks (otherwise they would all be the same).

Message 13 of 14
pendean

>>>...well i am using autocad full version...<<<
So why are you posting in the LT forum? That's the problem with "me too" replies when you don't pay attention, it makes you look inattentive overall and wastes everyone else' time trying to help you since we all assume you know where you are posting.

>>>...Why dont we all make a report to autocad on this...<<<
AutoCAD is a software: do you mean Autodesk, the software maker? Again, your lack of attention to detail is interesting for sure.

For LISP help, you can go here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-customization/ct-p/AutoCADTopic1

AutoCAD 101 basics that do not change regardless of the version you are using:
1) GROUPs are temporary objects inside a single file.
2) BLOCKs are permanent objects inside your active file and for sharing in other drawings.

HTH
Message 14 of 14
ondrej.minovsky

It works ! I know this is silly procedure for silly people who use goups in this way but thank god that someone still know these little tricks. You never know who messed up the drawing you're about to work on, maybe it was someone exactly like that.
A little update in 2023: You need to use "CLASSICINSERT" command in modern autocad or "_CLASSICINSERT" in localized versions of autocad.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost