AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

dhauck
Message 1 of 4 (927 Views)

Disable "Save As DWG" When Saving DXF

927 Views, 3 Replies
09-07-2012 05:47 AM

This isn't the first time this has been asked, but I'm asking afresh because the last thread dealing with it ended in 2009 (unsatisfactorily, I might add) and I'm hoping some progress may have been made since then.

I have a software program that imports DXF files and converts them to its native format, so they can be used for simulations.  I use ACad LT to convert DWG files to DXF for this purpose.  Sometimes they don't import properly, so I may have to re-open and tweak the DXF several times to get it to import properly.  (What can I say - the target application is published by the government; of course it has issues.)  The point is that I often have to work extensively in the DXF format.

Every time I try to Save my changes, ACLT tries to save my DXF as a DWG.  It pops up a Save As dialog (which I did not ask for) and defaults to a DWG - I have to go back down the list and re-find my DXF format.  Every time.  Every. Time.  Then when I close the file (even if no changes were made since the last save) it pops up another dialog to ask me if I'm sure I wouldn't rather save the file as a DWG before exiting.

I have looked high and low for a setting to turn this off, but to no avail.  I have Googled the above question in different variations, also without success.  Please, please, please, is there someone out there who can tell me how to disable this useless and extremely annoying behavior?  Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 4 (922 Views)

Re: Disable "Save As DWG" When Saving DXF

09-07-2012 07:01 AM in reply to: dhauck

OPTIONS from the Command line

Open and Save tab.

File Save and slect DXF of your preferred version.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
dhauck
Message 3 of 4 (897 Views)

09-10-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you, Charles, for the quick response. 

I guess this is a semi-solution, since I work more in DXF than DWG (though not exclusively).  Really, though, it just reverses the problem - now clicking Save in a DWG file gets me the Save As dialog with DXF pre-selected.

I guess I was hoping for somewhere to turn off the Filetype Nanny altogether, either with an AutoCad option, or if necessary, with a registry setting.  I'm not sure what purpose it serves in the first place, or why AutoCad has a problem with saving existing files in their current format, but I can't believe there isn't some option, registry entry, or flat-out hack to turn this off.

Perhaps someone from AutoDesk could chime in?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 4 (895 Views)

09-10-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: dhauck

You need multiple AutoCAD profiles: a feature of full AutoCAD, not lowest cost LT. Then you get what you seek.

you'll have to decide if it's worth the upgrade cost since you're the one suffering.

There was a 3rd party tool that did this for LT, worth finding it and trying it: remember to backup your customizations etc. first just in case before you install and use it.

There is no secret method to be revealed by a 'Desk staffer, just how much do you want to spend with the various AutoCAD variants to get what you need is their successful business model.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.