Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions not visible in layout view

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
BillW435
100837 Views, 42 Replies

Dimensions not visible in layout view

This is one of those on-again off-again frustrating issues.

The problem: I add a dimension in Model Space, but it is not visible in Layout. No problem with drawing items, only dimensions. After some "floundering" (not an official AutoDesk term),  I see the dimension in Layout. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, or how I manage to get the dimensions to show again. Any and all help appreciated.

Yes, have searched the help file and manuals to no avail.

Bill

LT 2011

Windows XP

42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
BillW435
in reply to: BillW435

New information:

It seems to be a problem with a new layer I made, "Dimensions", anything I add in Model space on this new layer does not appear on the Layout tab. All settings on new layer are same as layer 0, where there is no problem viewing objects on Layout tab.

Gotta be doing something wrong!

Thanks

Bill

Message 3 of 43
katani

If the settings for the new layer are the same as for layer 0 which is visible in your layout viewports (all on, all thawed) then this doesn't seem to be a problem with the layer. Is the current dimension style annotative by any chance when you are adding these dimensions? Try typing ANNOALLVISIBLE at the command prompt, hit enter and change the setting to 1. Can you see the dimensions now?

PS. By suggesting reading manuals and the help file I didn't mean you will never come accross problems you will not be able to get over by yourself once you've gone through the books. I only suggested a good way to start off. Nothing mean. Honestly.

Message 4 of 43
Charles_Shade

Make the Layout active by double clikcing inside of it.

Type LA at the Command line.

Is the Layer Thawed in the Viewport?

Layer Freeze

Message 5 of 43

OP are you trying to do something with annotative dimensions? If so, then is your modelspace CANNOSCALE set to match your paperspace viewport?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 43
BillW435

Thanks everybody -

Tried all you suggest; cannoscale is OK, annotative is OK, and layer properties appear same.

I may be asking alot, but if you care to view the file, it is attached. In model space I have entered two dimensions, one on layer "0", the other on layer "Dims". Text and dimension appear in layout view for layer "0" but not layer "Dims".

Appreciate all your help.

Bill

Olympia WA

Message 7 of 43
BillW435

OOPS!

Charles, I had not tried your suggestion yet:

"Make the Layout active by double clicking inside of it. Type LA at the Command line. Is the Layer Thawed in the Viewport?"

No, it was not thawed in the viewport - when I thawed the layer, the dimensions became visible in Layout!

Honestly, I had no idea a layer could be thawed in model space and NOT thawed in the viewport.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Bill

Message 8 of 43
Charles_Shade

Glad that worked for you.

If you started with a Template open the Template and check that same Layout and Thaw the Layer.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 9 of 43
jmarkut

I am unsure as to whether or not you have fixed this issue but I had the same problem and I fixed mine by the "Annotative Visability" button located on the bottom right of your screen.

Untitled.png

Message 10 of 43
BillW435
in reply to: jmarkut

Thanks Mark...

Well, yes I think I resolved the issue, but always can use another perspective.

Bill

Message 11 of 43
moni.sharma

hi ,

friends i am the facing the same problem and tried all the options given above its not resolved. pls suggest somthing.

Message 12 of 43
hwalker
in reply to: moni.sharma

Welcome to the Forums

Is it possible for you to post your problem drawing so we can have a look at it and point you in the right direction to resolve this issue?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 13 of 43
BillW435
in reply to: moni.sharma

Wow, it has been three years since I poster the original question!

Not sure, but I think my problem was because I was using different annotation scale in model and layout views. You need same annotation scal in both views or dimensions not visible in layout view.

That is what I remember, but it was three years ago!

Good luck

Bill

Message 14 of 43
ScottHodges

Not to sound mean here, but the ability to freeze a layer in a viewport and not in the model, is the reason we use viewports in the layout, rather than just modelspace to do our drawings
Message 15 of 43
rickgenz

i had a similar problem what i found was my color was set to 255, and not white. 255 looks like white but is treated different than white. see white will print black but 255 prints white, and on white paper no can see... 

Message 16 of 43
mary.thomas

This solved my problem with the dimension display. Thank you

Message 17 of 43
mabdo

in the layout view simply click on show annotation scale lol took me a while but I got it lol. ok thats located in the lower right toolbar here is a snap shot.

Show annotation scale.png

Message 18 of 43
arcos_esmeralda

Thank You!!!! Turning on the "show annotation object" button in paper space really helped! I can now see the dimensions I drew on model space in my paper space. 

Message 19 of 43
mzapata14

I was having the same exact problem and your advice was very helpful, it fixed my issue. Thank you so much!

Message 20 of 43
cazzthong
in reply to: katani

Thanks for the tip.

It worked like magic.

I still don't understand what is this "annoallvisible" variable for? and what have I done that pre-determined which dimensions to show in paperspace viewport and which don't.

Very puzzling. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost