Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash on open

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Crass
417 Views, 9 Replies

Crash on open

When I try to open this file I get an immediate crash. I have tried to recover the drawing and the results are the same.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Nik-D
in reply to: Crass

Can you post the file here so we can look at it?

Message 3 of 10
pendean

Is the problem one file? If yes, move it to your local PC's harddrive and try using RECOVER command to open it.

or is it ALL files?

Source of the file (what program created it, how was it delivered, is this the first time you open it)?

Message 4 of 10
Crass
in reply to: pendean

The file was created by us in ACAD LT 2011. There are about eight different XREFs attached all created by ACAD or ACAD Civil3D - Some created by us and some by other companies. I am not sure which file is the problem and since I cannot even open the file, it's difficult to troubleshoot.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 5 of 10
Nik-D

Move the XREF's to a different folder so that they cannot be found when AutoCAD tries to load the drawing. See if that has any effect.

Try the RECOVERALL command.

Also you said that there is an immediate crash, what exactly happens? do you get any command line info, does the program just quit, freeze?

Message 6 of 10
Charles_Shade

Do you have a BAK file or autosave file from when it was first created?

If so it may be worth looking at that prior to the attachment of any XREF's or other vertical content.

Does your LT have the Object Enabler loaded for its version?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15131158&linkID=9240818

Message 7 of 10
Crass
in reply to: Nik-D

I am not sure how to use the RECOVERALL command since the program crashes while loading the XREFs. Therefore I cannot even use a command, hence immediate (during load). I will try to move the xrefs one at a time to see if that does anything.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 8 of 10
Nik-D

Open AutoCAD LT, open a new drawing. then:

Click the AutoCAD symbol (very top left)

Click drawing utilities

Click Recover

Click Recover with XREFS.

For some reason the recover with XREFs option is only available if you have a drawing open already

HTH

Message 9 of 10
Charles_Shade

If the Drawing crashes while loading the XREF's it's time to go and run Recover on the Drawing files that are the XREF's before opening the drawing they are bing XREF'ed into.

Eliminate possible problems at the source.

Message 10 of 10
Crass
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks for the help all. I needed to move onto something else so have not been able to dedicate much time to troubleshooting this issue but, the update is:

1. I installed the AutoCAD Civil 2011 Object Enabler;
  2. A co-worker, who is able to open the file without problems on ACAD LT 2013, opened and purged the problem drawing; and
  3. I tried the RECOVERALL command

Same result. It crashes immediately on open or in the case of #3 as the RECOVERALL command is running.

I will do as you recommend Charles and try to recover all the XREFs individually. The problem I have with this method is that how would I know what the XREFs are since I cannot even open the problem dwg? Luckily my co-worker can open the dwg and indentify them for me. Otherwise I would be screwed.

Have a great weekend. I will get back to this on Monday. Thanks!

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost