Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting blocks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
ingraldi
4174 Views, 16 Replies

Counting blocks

Is it possible to count blocks in either the model space or in each layout?  Would be very helpful for fire alarm design, cause authorities require exact counts of devices.  Thank you 

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
sthompson1021
in reply to: ingraldi

Would selectsimilar help you?

Message 3 of 17
ingraldi

I have tried that, maybe doing something wrong. I guess there is no count command. Looking to select one block and get a total number in either model space or layout. Have any other suggestions?
Message 4 of 17
sthompson1021

When you highlight a block and and then use the selectsimilar command, in the properties window it should tell you how many block references are selected.

Message 5 of 17
heinsite

There is no BCOUNT command in LT unfortunately.  So the best you're going to get is probably running QSELECT for a particular block name and then looking at the number of items selected in the command line.  SELECTSIMILAR will select all the items but won't provide you with a number.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 6 of 17
sthompson1021
in reply to: heinsite

Unless I'm missing something, the number I have the arrow pointing to is the total number of blocks that are selected.

Message 7 of 17
heinsite
in reply to: sthompson1021

Nope... not you, it was me who missed that!  I didn't look there!  Smiley Surprised  I just looked at the command line. 

QSELECT is more complicated to execute (more clicks/picks) but it does return the number of blocks on the command line when it completes.

So we have at least two ways of doing this now... user's choice.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 8 of 17
Charles_Shade

You could Macro that if it was always the same block.

But it may be better to look into Extracting Attributes to get a number if need be.

You can do a total right?

Message 9 of 17
pendean

FILTER command makes it three ways to isolate identical objects based on user selected parameters: yes, and count too.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

i just wonder something there is an unnamed block or undifened by qselect what should i do there is lots of block that i want to count, i mean like 4000 what should I do? İs there no any other  way or code to clicking my block and writing code and it will find the others and count it for me?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: sthompson1021

I installed 2020 and select similar would highlight similar items but would not total in properties box as my old version did... however, once selected items were highlighted I could right click on quick properties and then got my total...

is there anyway I can get the quick properties box to automatically display like my old version did?  

Message 12 of 17
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Is the problem in ALL files, or just this one?
All objects or just this one selection set?
What SELECTSIMILARMODE setting do you have?

Works fine here in 2020 as you describe it: did you remember to install the 2020.1 update? ABOUT command will confirm if you have it or not.

Message 13 of 17
emma4RKZ7
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I'm trying to do an Attribute Extraction, see screenshots. I've followed the links from the Autodesk knowledge network to figure this out, but my Output file comes up empty. Any ideas? I'm using AutoCAD LT 2021. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Au...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Au...

Message 14 of 17
steven-g
in reply to: emma4RKZ7

You need to carefully read those pages.

The template file can include any or all of the BL:xxxxxxx field names listed, but must include at least one attribute tag field. The attribute tag fields determine which attributes, hence which blocks, are included in the attribute extraction file. If a block contains some, but not all, of the specified attributes, the values for the absent ones are filled with blanks or zeros, depending on whether the field is a character field or a numeric field.

There is no TAG field in your template, plus you should change the 'www' in the template to show the number of character or numeric values you expect to use, there is an example about half way down that page. And no blank lines  

Message 15 of 17
saju.ihome

I found this link and it is useful alot.
http://www.lee-mac.com/dynamicblockcounter.html

Message 16 of 17
cadffm
in reply to: saju.ihome

@saju.ihome  That's great that you want to help!
(although I hope this problem will be resolved after two years)

However, your link is 0% useful here in this case, because in AutoCAD LT (this software is about this in the AutoCAD LT forum) you cannot use any additional programs.

You are welcome

- Sebastian -
Message 17 of 17
pendean
in reply to: saju.ihome

@saju.ihome wrote:

I found this link and it is useful....

The last couple of versions of AutoCAD (as well as LISP disabled LT, the topic of this forum) now have COUNT command built into the program now, here is the usage as explained in HELP https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2022/ENU/Au...

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost