Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy layer from one drawing in model source to another drawing in paper source

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sidkakodkar
48918 Views, 10 Replies

Copy layer from one drawing in model source to another drawing in paper source

Hello everyone,

I need to copy a layer from one drawing to another, the problem is that one of them is in model and the other one is in paper. The method I tried using was: I used the qselect command to copy all objects from one layer on to the clipboard and then tried pasting it in the other drawing (which was in paper) - and nothing got pasted.

Please advice on how this can be done.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hwalker
in reply to: sidkakodkar

Welcome to the Forums

A layer is never just in model or paperspace. The layer exists in the drawing regardless.

The way you've done it is also a way it can be done. Just open up the layer dialog box and you will see your layer there.

But to help you, have both drawings open.

Now go into your target drawing.

There are three ways to do the next bit

1. Look for the icon at the top of the screen called designcenter and click it

2. Type in ADCENTER at the command line

3. Hold down CTRL+2

A dialog box will pop up.

You will see both your drawings listed. Expand the one which has got the layer you want to copy.

Click on the word LAYERS. You will now see at the right hand side a list of all the layers in that drawing.

All you have to do now is drag the layer into your drawing.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 11
pendean

Since SCALE is the big difference between model and paperspace, they probably are not so much "not there" as just too small.

Test it by pasting into paperspace.

Look up CHSPACE command in HELP: how to get content to/from model/paperspace within a drawing. Then move it to another drawing using any method you want.

Or WBLOCK, create an external block of your items, then INSERT and SCALE in the destination file.
Message 4 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle

OP if you're simply trying to copy a layer from one drawing file to another, read up on using the Design Center, through the Help...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 11
LFCNBAKER
in reply to: hwalker

@hwalker wrote:

Welcome to the Forums

A layer is never just in model or paperspace. The layer exists in the drawing regardless.

The way you've done it is also a way it can be done. Just open up the layer dialog box and you will see your layer there.

But to help you, have both drawings open.

Now go into your target drawing.

There are three ways to do the next bit

1. Look for the icon at the top of the screen called designcenter and click it

2. Type in ADCENTER at the command line

3. Hold down CTRL+2

A dialog box will pop up.

You will see both your drawings listed. Expand the one which has got the layer you want to copy.

Click on the word LAYERS. You will now see at the right hand side a list of all the layers in that drawing.

All you have to do now is drag the layer into your drawing.

thanks for your guide really easy to follow but i am getting a black circle with a line through it meaning it can't copy any ideas what i am doing wrong?

thanks

Nick

Message 6 of 11
pendean
in reply to: LFCNBAKER

That icon shows up only while you remain in ADCENTER, or if your destination file already has that drag-and-drop layer or content.
Message 7 of 11
LFCNBAKER
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
That icon shows up only while you remain in ADCENTER, or if your destination file already has that drag-and-drop layer or content.
Hi Dean,
Please see below the screenshots from the Designcenter, the 2 drawings in each the layer tab there are not duplicate layers.
is it not possible to drag between layers in Designcenter ?
thanks for your help 
Nick

A-GROUP.jpg

Message 8 of 11
pendean

You drag layers from ADCENTER into an open DWG file, not between ADCENTER windows. Is that what you are trying to do?

Also... ADCENTER is only used to drag a layer name and it's properties between files if it does not exist in the destination file, the content of that layer in the source file is not moved or copied at all to the destination file: is that your need? No such tool is found in AutoCAD.
Message 9 of 11
LFCNBAKER

@pendean wrote:
You drag layers from ADCENTER into an open DWG file, not between ADCENTER windows. Is that what you are trying to do?

Also... ADCENTER is only used to drag a layer name and it's properties between files if it does not exist in the destination file, the content of that layer in the source file is not moved or copied at all to the destination file: is that your need? No such tool is found in AutoCAD.

Hi Dean,

yes that was what i was trying to do my bad, the layer has been copied over but none of the properties have come over with it e.g. i have a load of hatches on another drawing that i wanted on the other dwg is that possible?

thanks

Nick

Message 10 of 11
pendean

Sadly, AutoCAD only works one way: items already in the file you are in will never change to settings brought in from other files. So if layer XYZ is already Red, uses Plot Style 2, set to Dashed lines etc. it will not change to match XYZ layer from another file that is Green, Continuous and otherwise different.

To bring in hatches from another file, try either COPY/PASTE or WBLOCK and INSERT commands: remember though, the same rules about layers apply to Hatches unless they have override settings.

Experiment, dive in, explore, let us know if you get stuck somewhere.
Message 11 of 11
LFCNBAKER

thanks Dean i will do and if i get any issues ill give you a shout back 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost