Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and Paste issues.

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
cdavis7254
11883 Views, 22 Replies

Copy and Paste issues.

Hi, and thanks for reading this.  I've browsed the other posts about cut/copy and paste, but didn't seem to find a question/answer that was what I was looking for. 

We have Acad LT 2012, 64 bit on Win7.  I've found that the paste option in my right click menu is "grayed out".  If I select an object and use the keyboard Ctrl-C, and then Ctrl-P, the object will paste.   If I select an object, right click to open the menu, go to "clipboard" then "copy", I can't paste by using the same steps. Paste (as well as the other paste options) is grayed and I can't select it.  The biggest issue is that I can't "paste to original coordinates".  I can still use the Ctrl-P to paste.

(Yes I can w-block it, or just block it, but that takes more time.)

Any ideas as to why it is grayed out in my menus?

Thanks,

Cary

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
pendean
in reply to: cdavis7254

Unless you changed it, and used the correct command when you did change it, the right-click copy option invokes COPY command and not COPYCLIP (CTRL+C) command.

Message 3 of 23
cdavis7254
in reply to: pendean

I haven't changed it.  If you have an object selected and the right-click,  the command, in the right-click menu in the "clipboard" flyout of "copy" is the copyclip command.  The "copy selection" in the right-click menu is the normal copy command.

Regardless of which command is which, the "paste" options are grayed out in the right-click menus.  If I have the "HOME" ribbon up, the clipboard menu works, but it's always faster to just right-click to paste.  If I use the copyclip button on the Clipboard ribbon menu, the paste on the right-click menu is still gray.

Cary

Message 4 of 23
Charles_Shade

This is a known issue.

Open the Options Window either from the Command Line: OPTIONS; or from the dropdown.

Click OK.

The Paste Options will be available.

You need to do this each time you start AutoCAD.

(Or when you think about it because you need to Copy/Paste)

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 5 of 23
pendean
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I've not seen that issue much here unless COPYCLIP failed, but I don't leave LT up when I am not working in it either (lunchtime or when I go home at the end of the day).

Now the PLINE grips (Dynamic Grip Menu) sometimes stop and your workaround is the fix for that, but that's been around since LT2011.

Message 6 of 23
cdavis7254

I'm not sure if opening "options" worked or not, as I didn't think to look this morning to see if paste was grayed out.  After opening "options", it is no longer gray, so It appears to be working.

Thanks

Message 7 of 23
Charles_Shade

I posted this same question several months back and one of the Autodesk Employees chimed in about it being a known issue.

But I will agree that 20%+/- of the time it does not happen. Not sure why. Just as I am not sure why sometimes when I Paste As Block from this right click menu the "New" block will want to Rotate (but not always).

Message 8 of 23
cdavis7254

I"ve never had the rotate issue, but we've only been using 2012 for less than 2 months.  Thanks

Message 9 of 23
heinsite

Something must be different or got changed on your system because I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and AutoCAD LT 2012 too and following your steps in the original message I can't duplicate this behavior at all.

I do think using the clipboard can introduce a lot of extra clicks and picks however.  Most of the time after selecting a group of objects I'll Ctrl-Shift-C and select a basepoint.  From there it's a fast Ctrl-V and Bob's your uncle... everything is where I want it.  I can't honestly think of a situation where the clipboard would be more efficient than that unless it had some sort of "history" or "stack" function.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 10 of 23
Charles_Shade
in reply to: heinsite

Kind of like Restless Leg Syndrome.

Those who have it know.

Those that don' think we're nuts.

I do way to much clicking and have never been a keyboard jockey (likely evidenced by my typing skills from time to time) so tend to over-use the righ click menus and have added many oft used Commands to the available menus.

That was actually offered as a suggestion as to the problem. The AutoCAD was conflicting between the right click menu and a Ribbon tab related to some of these Commands. One theory.

Message 11 of 23
cdavis7254

I do both, the keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste and right-click.  I did move the copy/paste commands up a level and bypass the extra step of hitting "clipboard" on the right-click menu.  Fortunately, there are a 100 ways to skin a cat (or make a command work).

(I learned on Autocad R12 (DOS), and couldn't stand the digitizer, so I got used to keyboard shortcuts.)

Message 12 of 23
crcwiseguy

I have found that if you go to CUI editor and find the 2 shortcut menus for clipboard, when you click on the past command, in the title there is an & in front of the paste, just take that out and the pasteclip command in short cut menus works.

There are 2 shortcut menus with clipboard in them, DEFAULT and EDIT.

This fixes the paste, paste as block, but not the paste to original coordinates.

Message 13 of 23
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: crcwiseguy

Chuck, you gotta come over to the dark side lol. Next time you want to make a line, hit L and then the spacebar with your free thumb or finger. M is move, F is fillet, O is offset......

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 14 of 23
crcwiseguy

Thought I had been smarter than Autodesk, turns out I was wrong (again). I started up this morning and smae problem. I did however move the commands up and out of the pop out menu and its working.(until tomarrow I'm sure!)

Message 15 of 23
swickert101

I am here because of the same exact issue.

The issue is simple.  As stated earlier, simply selecting any items by click and dragging to the right or left and invoking the clipboard copy flyout then trying to clipboard paste in another drawing, the paste commands are grayed out.

This never happened in 2010 to me and there also wasn't a seperate clipboard copy/paste option.  It wsa just copy and paste as far as I know.

The opening options and clicking ok does not work either.  Sometimes simply closing acad and reopening will fix it but is a huge pain when working with multiple drawings and right in the middle of editing.

So basically there is no soution to this issue in this post.

Message 16 of 23
cdavis7254
in reply to: swickert101

Even if the paste command is "greyed" out, you can still use the keyboard "Ctrl-v" to paste, or "ctrl-shift-v" to paste as a block.

Message 17 of 23
swickert101

Thank you cdavis7254

Message 18 of 23
stonedetails61

This is the only solution that worked for me. Thank you!
Message 19 of 23
AutoMarcus

we have to do this each time we start autocad?

Message 20 of 23
JoeU38G4

To fix this, do a "Regen All" and the paste will work again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost