Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting AutoCAD (.dwg) to Revit (.rvt)

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
37155 Views, 21 Replies

Converting AutoCAD (.dwg) to Revit (.rvt)

Hello Everyone, am new to this forum - and also relatively amateur in using AutoCAD. 

we have all our shop drawings in AutoCAD, one of our client wants them in Revit. I tried exporting the drawing ro revit, but there are no option available or i may be not seeing well. I am using AutoCAD LT 2015, i would love to hear from anyone a little more step by step process you know what i mean. thanks heaps! 

Regards

Imran

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

You need REVIT, it imports DWG files: does your client not know that? Or are you contractually obligated to use REVIT and you're trying to skip that process? DWG files look fake/flat/non-revit on REVIT and they will see it immediately.

REVIT LT is cheaper than REVIT if you need to buy it: REVIT also doesn't save down to older REVIT versions so only buy the exact version your recipient is using.
Message 3 of 22
DarrenP
in reply to: pendean

you can just give them your .dwg file

then they can do whatever they need to in Revit

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback, no we are just trying to do this a gesture of goodwill - i am not sure of their capabilities when it comes to revit.

i get the point now, it is easy to import in Revit if someone needs to view dwg files. 

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: DarrenP

Thank you!
Message 6 of 22
dgorsman

If somebody just needs to view 2D DWG files (as LT doesn't do much of any 3D), TrueView would be a better option.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 22
basmar
in reply to: dgorsman

Hello,

I am an IT person working on writing tools for cost estimation. For the Revit drawings, I am be able to export the data to ODBC (access, Excel and SQL Server) to consume the drawing data. However, to export the dwg drawings I following the below steps as AutoCAD doesn't support export to ODBC and didn't see the drawing data

1. Created Revit Drawing with No template (Revit file size was 312 KB)

2. Import the DWG drawing (File Size increases to 808 KB and saved it in a new rvt file)

3. I exported to SQL using ODBC and it doesn't contain the drawing data.

Are there any extra steps before the export? Or, is there any other alternative solution to export the data to access (MDB file)?

Thank you,

Beyene

Message 9 of 22
basmar

Thank you pendean! I tried it and still I couldn’t get the model data in the exported database.

I would like to export the BIM component data to an ODBC(Open database connectivity) database like Excel and MS Access. Revit supports export to ODBC.

Since it is a onetime process, I imported the dwg drawing and tried to export using Revit. However, the exported BIM data doesn’t contain data from the dwg drawing.

After linking or importing the DWG data, does Revit converts the DWG data to BIM components?

Message 10 of 22
pendean

AutoCAD is not BIM capable.
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

We have a 3D model created in DGN,we can export it to DWG format. But finally we need the 3D model in Revit format. Is it possible to export/convert to revit format?

Message 12 of 22
krish.kitty009

hello sir, i am geeting this error could you please help me in this regard.

Message 13 of 22
pendean
in reply to: krish.kitty009

You need to post your question in the REVIT forum https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit/ct-p/2003
Message 14 of 22
mahmoudkadry

try Handaz CAD2BIM

Message 15 of 22
Milt-Fitz

Dean,

Question for you....(because you've so helpful in the past), 

I'm hitting you up 1st based on this post before crating a new posting on the AutoCAD & REVIT forms...

"AutoCAD is not BIM capable."  This much I definitely know so, "Is there a way to update "Dumb 3D AutoCAD Blocks" with information?

In the past we simply created 3D AutoCAD's or converted existing REVIT file down to 3D AutoCAD"JUST" so we could use the part/blocks for a place holder.

This has been sort of a standard with us (or me) since 2008. Although I use REVIT, many of my customers internally, externally, and as a consultant never wanted to deal with REVIT, (some still prefer paper or PDF's). 

Now, (10 years later) all of a sudden it seems as if a drawing/part, for an 1/8" wire for a mouse doesn't have the right amount of data associated with it and the energy usage of the mouse the "BIM" file is no good... Smiley Frustrated 

I posted this question on social media (Twitter) to several people without so much a getting a hit. As I stated earlier, I plan on creating a new posting but before going that far I was hoping to get some insight from you.

As I have said to you before (and to any other users out there) any help or information would  be appreciated.

Again, "Thanks in advance"!

Regards,

Milt

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
Message 16 of 22
Drafter1981
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

Just adding myself (my Home account) to the thread

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
Message 17 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

>>>... "Is there a way to update "Dumb 3D AutoCAD Blocks" with information?...<<<
Add attributes? Unfortunately building families in REVIT has no true equivalent in plain AutoCAD: you van get more intelligence out of AEC Objects in AutoCAD ARCH as long as you can build it from what is provided inside the program.

REVIT is just a completely different way to CAD, far above and beyond AutoCAD and its many mimic-clones out there.
Message 18 of 22
pcew

Hi,

Would you please answer the question in the subject? Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 22
pendean
in reply to: pcew

Subject: Converting AutoCAD (.dwg) to Revit (.rvt)

Answer: see reply #2 highlihted in green above, here is the link https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-forum/converting-autocad-dwg-to-revit-rvt/m-p/4963628#M120...

Message 20 of 22
pcew

Hello,
If the reply #2 is dated ‎04-16-2014 05:15 AM, sorry but I do not see the answer to the question. I use Revit for electrical so I do typicals diagrams, circuits, and details. I know I can import and link a DWG file but that is not what I want. I have several dwg details that I want to convert into a rvt. and save them in a folder so I can bring in to Revit using the “open a file view”
Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost