Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open multiple drawings in a single session

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Iant123
8916 Views, 6 Replies

Cannot open multiple drawings in a single session

Cannot open multiple drawings in a single session as i could till today.

I found a similar thread but that was for 2000lt... I am using 2010.... and tried relevant advise...

I tried SDI etc..

HISTORY

I recently downloaded Autodesk Dwg Viewer to convert a later version dwg....

Experimenting with the new Dwg Viewer today, i opened a dwg. file from a folder on our server... right clicked... OPEN WITH and selected open with dwg viewer...

To my surprise ALL the dwg icons on our server changed... (not just the drawing I wanted to open with the viewer) and after that all dwgs started to open with Autdesk VIEWER when double clicked.

So I repeated the process to reverse what I had done... ie. Right click... OPEN WITH then browsed my way to the AutoCAD 2010.exe file and selected that.

Files now open AutCAD 2010 program... but never open into the current session. I end up separate sessions and for various reasons do not want that.

CURRENT SETTINGS

FILE DIA = 0

SDI = O

STARTUP = 0

How do I get drawings from the the server folders to open in the current session.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Iant123

"open with.." needs to be set to DWG LAUNCHER. Always.

Next, start the program you want DWG files to default to (in this case, LT2010 I presume) open a DWG files, save and close it and the program. Now Windows will default to LT2010 and let you open more than one file in the one session.

If you start the viewer it will assign itself as the default DWG application until you start LT2010 back up.

Same if you still have LT2000 and use it: it will help itself to the DWG file until you start LT2010 first.

You control this assignment in Windows by starting the program first: if you find this unacceptable then uninstall the viewer and grab another from a different vendor.
Message 3 of 7
Iant123
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean

and for the super prompt response...

Followed your advice... It is still opening in separate sessions.

WHAT I DID

From .dwg file on server I right clicked/I set OPEN WITH to dwg launcher. That opened ok. Then saved and closed the drawing. Then closed the program.

Next... I restarted the program (LT2010) by opening a .dwg file on the server... save & close. Then close program.

Then I opened program again from my template.dwt file. Whilst that session was active I opened another .dwg from server folder... Result = separate session.

BTW: I did not touch the dwg VIEWER program at all.

Whatever method I use it still saves in separtae sessions except as follows.

OF NOTE

If I open my .dwt (or any .dwg for that matter) then while in that session... FILE/OPEN and browse from within the LT2010 program to open another file it will open in the same session ( Smiley Very Happy).

That is one positive but I still need to open files from server folders that open in the same session.

Message 4 of 7
Iant123

Another thing I just learned..

If I open a server .dwg file by: Browse/Select .dwg/Right Click/Open With/ Dwg Launcher... it will open into the same session...

Does that info help?

Message 5 of 7
Iant123
in reply to: pendean

We went through the suggested steps again...
It worked this time...

Thanks a million!!!

Message 6 of 7
modeleader

I cannot find DWG Launcher in my open with window. 

Can someone help me find DWG Launcher in my system.

Message 7 of 7
pendean
in reply to: modeleader

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost