Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad LT 2013 will not install on Windows 7 x64

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
epearson117
22239 Views, 32 Replies

AutoCad LT 2013 will not install on Windows 7 x64

I am unable to install AutoCad LT 2013 on my Windows 7 x64 system.  Everytime I try to install I get the error message:

"The system cannot open the device or file specified.

C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\_AI194B.tmp\x86\en-us\Components\adr2013\SetupDesignReview2013.msi."

I can go to that folder and that file is there.  However, if I try to run that file it then gives me errors about other missing files, that are not in that folder.

I have tried this with Multiple Logins, including the Adminstrator.  I have also, completely wiped out the system and reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch.

I have set the UAC to the lowest level.

I have also tried another DVD, and tried copying the files to the machine.  No matter what I try I get this same message.

One other thing, this is the 2013 Upgrade.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
pendean
in reply to: epearson117

Restart Windows and skip installing all the extra apps that got hung-up (read your error message carefully, it tells you which one). See if that helps.

Message 3 of 33
epearson117
in reply to: pendean

Not sure I understand what you mean?  How do I "skip the install"...I am putting in the DVD and running the applciation...I have tried running the setup from the x64 folder on the dvd, but that didn't help either.

Message 4 of 33
Charles_Shade

Is there not a choice to install in a Custom way?

Pick and choose what to install?

Most installation programs have this option though I cannot rmember if CAD does.

Message 5 of 33
epearson117
in reply to: Charles_Shade

It never gets that far.

I put in the CD I get this window:

01 - CAD Error.jpg

I click "Run Setup.exe" I get this window:

02 - CAD Error.jpg

Then this winodw pops up:

03 - CAD Error.jpg

If I click OK, it closes the install.

Message 6 of 33
pendean

Does it help if you navigate to that TEMP folder identified in the po-up and empty it in Windows Explorer?

Message 7 of 33
epearson117

Nope.  And I have tried running the file it calls out and the just then tells me other files are missing from that temp folder.

Message 8 of 33
DarrenP

this may or may not help

try copying the whole DVD to your hard drive and run the install from there

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 33
epearson117
in reply to: DarrenP

Did that, didn't make a difference.  I am thinking this might be a 64-bit issue.  I have a couple of other systems that are running 32-bit and the install worked fine on those.

Message 10 of 33
pendean

You do seem to be trying to install trhe 32bit version of LT on Win7 64bit: which will fail all the time.

Navigate to the disk in Windows Explorer and find the 64bit Installation to activate: bet you have the 32bit disk in and that's the problem.

Who has the 64bit disk in your office? If you canot find it, grab the demo from the Autodesk site, it's the same exact product.

Message 11 of 33
epearson117

The disk has both versions on it.  I have gone on the disk to the 64bit folder, and when I run that it doesn't work either.

Message 12 of 33
pendean

Go grab the 64bit trial download from Autodesk's website and use that for the installation.

Empty that TEMP folder listed in the pop-up, do not run anything from there like you did last time.

Ensure that you restart Win7, turn off all running background applications, be logged in as full administrator in Windows 7, and run the downloaded installer. I recommend you perform a complete download first and resist installing while downloading.

If you are still having issues, you need to share all the above information in a repost to the Installation forum at
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

Message 13 of 33
epearson117

So, I reinstalled Windows 7 x64.  Then downloaded the Trial Software from AutoDesk.  Sure enough it installed correctly.

Thanks for all you help!!

Message 14 of 33
pendean

Great news: I suspect (you need to verify it with your IT) that your Windows is set to find and run the first EXE it finds on a disk and that may have been the problem. Worth turning that ability off as it exposes your system to possible virus installations etc.

Message 15 of 33
epearson117

Once again I am experiencing the same problem.  Only this time, I am running the downloaded version from AutoDesk.

I reinstalled Windows 7 x64 on my computer, and when I try to get run the install I get the same error.

Why would the x64 version be trying to run a file from the x86 folder?

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Message 16 of 33
pendean

Why did you have to reinstall Win7?

Message 17 of 33
epearson117

I didn't it is a different machine.

But I was able to get it to install.  This time in order to get it to install I had to login as the Local Administrator and turn off my Trend Micro AntiVirus.

Luckily I am the IT admin here so I am able to do these things.

Message 18 of 33
adit

Can I add to this discussion because we had the exact same problem as the first email on 3-7-13. The odd thing is that we have two identical laptops running WIN7/64 and two identical copies of AutoCAD LT2013 - and the standard installation worked perfectly on one laptop. Of note, the CD/DVD indicates that it is good for 32/64 bit installations, i.e. no seperate CD.

So I went into the CD and navigated to the x64/en-US folder and ran setup from there. Now it can't find another file - acadltlp.msi. What to do?

Message 19 of 33
epearson117

Try turning off you AntiVirus completely.  I found that the Trend Micro I was running caused problems.

Message 20 of 33
adit

Brilliant - it worked, thank you! And you didn't even know that we were also using Trend Micro AV when you made your suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost