Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD v Microsoft

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
NCCDesign-Nige
222 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD v Microsoft

Is it just me that gets the feeling that any conflict issues with AutoCAD products and Microsoft OS, are being ignored and blamed on the other party? (actually, it is just Autodesk that continually blame the OS)  I am continually being told that I should update my OS by Autodesk to resolve the conflicts I am having.  And yet when I do, I experience another crash within 24 hours. The only program that I have issues with is the most expensive one, not one of the others on my PC crashes and nor does the OS crash, so what prog does crash? 

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: NCCDesign-Nige

Win8.1 is troublesome with LT2014 and lower for some users. No definitive fix from anyone yet.
Anecdotal fixes are:
- Remove LT and reinstall under one of Win8.1's compatibility modes of lower Windows versions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows
- Complete upgrade and revamp of all the drivers on your PC for Win8.1 compliant drivers (Win8 is not enough).
- Stepping back to Win7.

Good luck.
Message 3 of 4
NCCDesign-Nige
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to reply.

When I first started using 2014LT, it was on a Win 8 PC, and in the main this was fine. What happened after a couple of months was I took the plunge and upgraded to Win 8.1 and from there all my troubles started. Having then found out through various forums the perils that others had encountered with both CAD and Win 8.1, I went and brought another PC, this time making sure it stayed as Win 8. So the same disc has been loaded onto both PC, not working at all on one, and intermittently on the other.  To compound the issue, the first PC has now lost its CD Drive, so I am unable to reinstall CAD anyway.  But that’s another story.

In response to your suggestions, I have over a period of time carried out most if not all of your suggestions. Indeed, the Hot Fix I was seeking answers to was done as the Local Administrator. But this failed, and I had to undo this fix to get myself back working again. Two days ago, I carried out the .Net Framework update from scratch as suggested, but 24hrs later another Fatal Error was experienced. My main concern is that whilst I accept that the nature of CAD, requires high end usage of graphic cards etc, there is nothing on the box so as to speak giving any warning of potential issues and the system requirements suggest that both of my PC are suitable. Now, according to Autodesk, they are not. This is a blatant miss-selling of the product in the first place. But no one will take responsibility for this, as they are happy to point over the fence at someone else.

Seems that spending so much money, on the industry market leader, will guarantee a smooth ride.

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: NCCDesign-Nige

1. Upgrading the OS on a production machine is always a bad idea. Always check before you do something like this, it's the wisest to never 'assume' it will be fine.
2. Windows 8.1 problems (and some solutions worth trying) all over this website: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=windows+8.1&search_submi...

3. You haven't tried my second suggestion from my last post. Assuming you haven't already decimated your operating system and DLLs with the items you've tried so far.

4. Back up your files. Reformat your HD and take your PC back to factory settings (yes, that means Win8.0). Before you install anything else, do the Win8.1 update. before you do anything else, hunt down actual Win8.1 Drivers for all of your PC components, and install them. Now try LT2014's installation under compatibility mode as I suggested or go for a straight install: seems to work for most unless you are one of the unlucky few.

5. Buy Win7: works great. No issues.

PS: most of us here are end users like you helping other end users. Spare us the rants, contact Autodesk for that stuff and tell them yourself how you feel (there are "contact us" link is available on every page on their website).

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost