Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2013 - User-Defined Hatch - "Not Responding"

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
drjdrjdrjdrjdrj
2683 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2013 - User-Defined Hatch - "Not Responding"

I'm using AutoCAD LT 2013 on a brand new Windows 8 machine.

For two/three weeks hatching was working fine. Then suddenly whenever selecting user-defined hatch on the ribbon, or clicking on a user-defined hatch in an existing drawing, the program immediately locks up into "Not Responding" mode and the only solution is to restart the program.

I've searched elsewhere on this Group and the main AutoCAD 2013 Group and can't find an exactly similar occurrence.

I've tried setting HPDLGMODE to 1 and turning HPQUICKPREVIEW to OFF - no change

I've tried Control Panel > Programs > AutoCAD LT > Repair - no change

I can use and edit user-defined hatches using the dialogue box method, but that still leaves the ribbon method defective and risks a careless click on a user-defined hatch locking up the program.

Any ideas please short of a complete reinstall (which would lose my customised settings and risk the problem reoccurring)?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: drjdrjdrjdrjdrj

Windows 8 is not currently supported. You are out of luck right now. Read the link about it on the right margins almost everywhere in this forum you are posting and reading in.

OPTIONS command>FILES tab and confirm your custom hatches folder is listed in the Program Search paths. Also confirm the file or files are actually there, then confirm you can access them, then confirm they are not corupt or empty.

If they 'used to work" but now they don't, something in your system changed: change it back (Win8 has a system rstore feature worth trying) or remove and reinstall if necessary as a last resort.

Message 3 of 9
drjdrjdrjdrjdrj
in reply to: pendean

"Windows 8 is not currently supported."

Thank you - I didin't realise that. Seems strange considering Windows 8 has now been out - at least in beta form - for nearly a year - and officially for several months - that progress hasn't been made. The problem I'm having is very similar to that reported by others in recent years on previous versions. I was hoping there may be a solution arising from those that I haven't already tried and which would work.

"OPTIONS command>FILES tab and confirm your custom hatches folder is listed in the Program Search paths. Also confirm the file or files are actually there, then confirm you can access them, then confirm they are not corupt or empty."

Please note I'm not talking about Custom Hatches here - merely completely bog-standard simple User Defined ones as mentioned - i.e. in the ribbon/dialogue box you select "User Defined" and then specify the spacing and direction of line hatching. I don't use Custom Hatches at all.

"If they 'used to work" but now they don't, something in your system changed: change it back (Win8 has a system rstore feature worth trying) or remove and reinstall if necessary as a last resort."

Thank you. I have tried a System Restore but it won't do one for some reason. I've often had a problem with various computers getting System Restore to work. I was hoping to avoid a complete reinstall since that would mean me re-setting up customised right button menus etc.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

AutoCAD posted Support items:
http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-support

AutoCAD for MAC support forumforum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/bd-p/520

Product suggestions or enhancements:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Autodesk support is now on Twitter 24/5 (@autodeskcare): http://autode.sk/sbGrpxPerhaps you need to change LT2013's hardware acceleration setting, or remove/restore whatever got changed on your system manually. Or your default ACLT.PAT or ACTLISO.PAT file is corrupt or missing.

If it used to work then suddenly stopped usually means you can find the culprit system change more readily. Explore in detail or repair/reinstall if you think that will help.

>>....re-setting up customised right button menus etc....<<<

So find your edited CUIx file with all your custom menu edits, save it somewhere safe, then reload it: you should be backing it up regularly anyway in case of problems to restore later.

You might want to spend time with Windows8 and read up on how to set restore points, backups and more to avoid just devastating recoveries in the future. Simply using it like you always have other PCs doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

Windows 8 support is a software company decision, not an end-user decision: they'll eventually get there or chose not to support it, only time will tell. 2013 works fine in Win8 for most, but not having a reliable source for fixes stops many from relying on it for generating income.

Message 5 of 9
drjdrjdrjdrjdrj

Thank you for responding:

"Perhaps you need to change LT2013's hardware acceleration setting, or remove/restore whatever got changed on your system manually."

I'm afraid I don't know what the first thing means. And if I knew what had changed I'd be able to investigate - but I don't.

"Or your default ACLT.PAT or ACTLISO.PAT file is corrupt or missing."

As I said previously user-defined hatching is working using the hatch dialog box. Would that work if the said files were corrupted? It's the ribbon method that's causing the problem.

I don't have the files noted - however the ACADLT.PAT and ACADISO.PAT files are dated 2011. Are these the same ones?

"If it used to work then suddenly stopped usually means you can find the culprit system change more readily. Explore in detail or repair/reinstall if you think that will help."

I can narrow it down to the day it happened - buit don't know what to look for...

">>....re-setting up customised right button menus etc....<<<

So find your edited CUIx file with all your custom menu edits, save it somewhere safe, then reload it: you should be backing it up regularly anyway in case of problems to restore later."

Thank you - I was afraid if I did that the problem might be embedded in there somehow. And thus reoccur.

"You might want to spend time with Windows8 and read up on how to set restore points, backups and more to avoid just devastating recoveries in the future. Simply using it like you always have other PCs doesn't sound like a good plan to me."

System restore appears to work identically to previous windows versions. There is a restore point before the problem occurred but it's reporting a file needs to be closed to permit Windows Restore to work - but doesn't tell me what that file/prgram is.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Backup all your work files, backup your customizations: then you are about as safe as you can to proceed with Windows Restore or a repair/reinstall of LT, whichever you choose to do.

I'm sorry, but you will have to decide how to proceed with the system restore, I can't guarantee anything: you might try and contact Microsoft's open forums for support with that one. If you don't know what's running why does it matter why it may close or not?

I've not seen the Ribbon content only missing the user-defined content or crashing only from it before. Is LT2013 fully patched and updated?

Message 7 of 9
drjdrjdrjdrjdrj

Apologies for the delay in responding - long weekend away

" If you don't know what's running why does it matter why it may close or not?" - Windows Restore didn't say what file was running preventing it completing the Restore, and didn't offer the option to close it - it merely terminated without doing the Restore.

"Is LT2013 fully patched and updated?" - I didn't load it on the machine - it was installed in mid-January and I assume was updated as necessary at that time. It's reporting G.114.0.0, AutoCAD LT 2013 SP1.1 - that seems to be up-to-date looking at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20327876&linkID=9240818 

Let's hope someone else finds the same problem so it might be addressed or the IT department here gets round to sorting it out as requested when it occurred about 3 weeks ago! Maybe they'll read this?  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9

Please note I have inadvertently found a "solution" - but I can't explain what happened.

I was demonstrating the problem to the IT department last week and in the process reset HPDLGMODE to 2.

Suddenly everything was working normally again - and it's now been working for several days; I delayed reporting it until it seemed definitely OK.

Seems like this was just an isolated glitch either with LT2013 itself or the way LT2013/W8 interact, that has been reset. 

I'll advise if it happens again.

Message 9 of 9

Not exactly the same but I've had an odd "glitch" when hatching since - though not the same as the above. Stabilised over the last week though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost