Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2012 - Move and Stretch Base Point Selection Problems

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Fabulous1
1703 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2012 - Move and Stretch Base Point Selection Problems

Hello, I have posted this issue before, however it is continuing to be a problem.

The problem occurs as follows (move command as an example):  I select my objects to move, then I select my Base Point to move my objects away from, then when I select my destination point the command changes the Base Point to the selected destination point and asks me again to select a destination point.

I have realized this problem occurs not only with the move command, but also the stretch command. Also, it does not matter if I am using command modifiers or not, the problem occurs regardless.  Also, it does not matter how I hit enter using the command (keyboard enter button, space bar, or right mouse button) the problem occurs regardless, and occurs entirely AT RANDOM.

Following previous suggestions here is what I have attempted to resolve the problem:

- remove the AutoCAD LT 2012 from the computer entirely and re-install

- installed the latest LT 2012 Service Pack

- changed the mouse to a new, wired mouse (I was already using a wired mouse in the first place)

- change the keyboard (which I think is irrelevant since changing the mouse did not work either)

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know something to fix it?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Fabulous1

Did we ask you to go thru this exercise when uninstalling?:

Remove Autodesk Products:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=9240817&id=2887771&siteID=123112

Any third party programs installed with the CAD?

Message 3 of 14
Fabulous1
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yes, I did go through the computer and removed all applications related to AutoCAD.

No, I do not believe there were any 3rd party applications installed with the AutoCAD; the download for the software came directly from Autodesk and I was not asked to install anything other than AutoCAD LT during the install process.

Any suggestions to the source of the problem?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 14
Charles_Shade

No, like your last thread I've never seen or read anything like what you are describing.

Other than the From modifier doing what it is supposed to do but as I've said, looks normal here.

Message 5 of 14
Fabulous1
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Computers and software can do some crazy things and the source of a problem can be where you would never expect.  We are going to experiment by installing this version of AutoCAD onto another computer and starting all drawings from scratch without copy/pasting anything from other drawings.  If that doesn't work . . .

Is there any way that I could contact Autodesk to discuss if there is any way to conclusively prove that the problem is or is not in the software? A 1-800 number or an E-mail form?  I have not yet found anything in the Autodesk website along these lines.

Message 6 of 14
pendean

Installation Help from Autodesk:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

Autodesk support is now on Twitter 24/5 (@autodeskcare): http://autode.sk/sbGrpx

Up & Ready Installation and Startup Help (free for new installs):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2786107&linkID=9240817

Safety Net / Per Incident Autodesk support (not free):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=15892664&linkID=9240817

If you are on subscription, visit your Autodesk
Subscription Page for direct Autodesk Help:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2915212&linkID=9240817

If you are not on subscription, get it.

Customer Error Reporting:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7047344&linkID=9240817

Different options that are available for self-help
technical support from Autodesk Product Support
E-Services:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylj0o-R_Zn0

Message 7 of 14
DominicAL

I am having the same issue and it is very frustrating it seems to start when moving stuff in model space through a viewport or on paper space and then it seems to stay with that drawing after the error occurs once.

Message 8 of 14
Kuubik

I have same problem and it is very annoying. Occurs absolutely random and usually in succession.

Message 9 of 14
jayd.snell

I am having the exact same problem. I did a fresh installation of AutoCAD Design Suites 2013 installed and I was not having this problem at all for months. It just started yesterday and I have since removed and reinstalled without it being fixed. The most annoying part is that it happens at random and a random amount of times. Sometimes it strings 3 or 4 new base points together.

Message 10 of 14
Fabulous1

Yep, that's the problem.  I have to say it but I am glad to see that it has carried over to 2013 versions.  I've reported this "bug" to Autodesk a couple months ago but no one has provided a solution.  It's been explained to me that it can be a problem with the software interfacing with your hardware (processor, mouse, or both).  I have used 3 different mice now and that problem still occurs at random.

Is your computer a "workstation" built by a brand (HP, Dell, etc.)?  At my old company I had a custom built computer with an independent graphics card and the whole bit; NEVER had problems like this. However we were using "outdated" AutoCAD 2006.  I come to my new company and start using 2012 on a "workstation" that uses the factory installed motherboard graphics and now I am having all sorts of troubles.  I am about to try using AutoCAD LT 2012 on a different computer with an independent graphics card.  If that doesn't resolve the issue than I'll be speaking with Autodesk again.

I am not a software programmer, but I would be surprised that Autodesk would have needed to tinker with the code for the stretch or move commands while adding new commands and other advancements to the software.  The command has worked perfectly fine for more than a decade!

Message 11 of 14
jayd.snell

Yes, this computer is a workstation by Lenovo.

I have used autocad for years before usually on a personal computer and I have never had the same volume of problems that I have had on this computer. My "autosave" file location changes on its own sometimes, my trim options (trimming to imaginary points in space) change by themselves, and some setting that I can't find changed so now I MUST have dynamic input on or else AutoCAD picks random "from" snaps without using the command.

I'm sure these are all related somehow but they are showing up at different times, and after months of using the different commands with no problems some new problem just starts happening.

Message 12 of 14
pendean
in reply to: jayd.snell

"new problems" have everything to do with either drawing changes or system changes (or worse, conflicts with items updated, added or removed) are are impossible to fix.

If all worked just and stopped one day, that is the marker/line in the sand when something changed on your PC/setup, or file(s). While it's nice and easy to blame some unseen entity for the problem, it honestly needs to start with you/your PC and what changed first.

Start digging.

Message 13 of 14
jayd.snell
in reply to: pendean

Don't get me wrong; I'm not blaming AutoCAD for all of my problems. I'm just stating that I have had this particular computer for less than a year and I have encountered significantly more problems on it (between AutoCAD and all the other software I use) than ALL of the previous computers I have worked on combined. I have figured out a lot of the problems and where they stemmed from, but it is baffling to me that all of these problems have occurred in the first place on the same computer.

I usually refrain from updating my system and software until I have figured out what it impacts. I usually know when an update or a change in settings has caused a problem.

Message 14 of 14
pendean
in reply to: jayd.snell

Agreed: I was not defending anyone either, just pointing out how difficult it is to diagnoze a problem when it did not exist until it did with the same exact software in use.

I too control updates and do not allow any autoamtic ones, not even Windows updates: manual and only after I read the literature associated with it. So far, knock on wood, no Monday morning blues here with any software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost