Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2007 won't run on Windows 7 as a power user

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
6431 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2007 won't run on Windows 7 as a power user

I cannot get AutoCAD LT 2007 to run on Windows 7 32bit when the user is a Power User on the local PC, not and Administrator.  When you click on the desktop icon, the cursor spins and then nothing happens.  If you look in the event logs, an event 1000, Application error is logged.  The error says the faulting application is acadlt.exe and the faulting module is ntdll.dll.  How can I get this to run under as a Power User?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

List your install steps.

Did you in stall as an administrator?

Did you use a Vista or XP emulation mode?

Found this from a previous thread on the ntdll.dll issue:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT/Autocad-2012-LT-crashing-in-Windows-7-Pro-64bit/td-p/311966...

Autodesk KB did not report any items on the subject.

Google search

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

The user was an administrator while I did the install.  I opened the program one time while the user was an administrator without issue.  I then removed the user from the administrator group and added him to the power user group.

I then tried to add the Power User group with modify permissions to every AutoCAD folder or regkey I could find.  Still no luck.  I tried running the program in XP compatibility mode without success.  The links don't appear to be related.  This is a permissions issue but I cannot find the correct folder or reg key to give permissions to.

Message 4 of 14
Charles_Shade

I copied this thread to another Forum member who may have seen this issue and have an answer for you.

Did you try not adding this user to the group?

(I'm aking for my own info since I do not have knowledge of this.)

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

When you say  "try not adding this user to the group", what group to you mean?

Message 6 of 14
Charles_Shade

<<<The user was an administrator while I did the install.  I opened the program one time while the user was an administrator without issue.  I then removed the user from the administrator group and added him to the power user group. >>>

The Power User group.

I'm a single shop XP Pro user so I am ignorant of what that is and is why I ask.

Usually installing as you did is the way to do this.

Install as Administrator.

Run the Program.

Close and switch users then the non adminstrator can run the program.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Oh...I understand.  The Power Users group is a level above the Users group.  It gives a little more permissions.  The next level above Power Users is the Administrators group.  Our users are Power Users.  If it doesn't launch under Power Users it won't launch under Users.

Message 8 of 14
Charles_Shade

Being that LT 2007 does not support Win 7 did you try installing in XP or Vista mode?

I read over in the Install Forum about disabling the UAC.

Most of the Power User questions were from older posts.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3A2...

Installation and Licensing Forum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

(I am guessing from your user name here you know all this)

Disable UAC:

https://www.google.com/search?q=disable+the+uac+in+win7&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US...

Message 9 of 14
TravisNave

I'm forced to agree with Charles on this one.  Autodesk 2007 products tend to have numerous permissions issues running on Windows 7 because it is not a supported operating system.  The whole user profile and registry structure is different.  If the product runs if the user is a local administrator, then you may simply need to let the user have local administrator rights.  It really doesn't make much of a difference if you're already giving power users.  It's not like they have any more elevated rights on the network domain or on others' computers.  If you cannot use XP Mode virtual machine as an option, then let the user run the product as Administrator. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 10 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: TravisNave

Message 11 of 14
TravisNave

I just wish there was a better answer.  Perhaps the shortcut can be modified in the compatibility properties to always run as Administrator privilege?  Otherwise, there's not a lot of options here.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 12 of 14

AutoCAD 2007 needs to access the HKLM part of the registry, since Windows Vista HKLM requires admin privledges to write to, which means AutoCAD 2007 cannot work properly unless it is both installed and run as administrator. Sorry for the bad news.

Message 13 of 14

Message 14 of 14

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost