Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD LT 2011 - Limit to items selected to use pulldown menu?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
NewHorizons
1059 Views, 8 Replies

ACAD LT 2011 - Limit to items selected to use pulldown menu?

Hi Folks,

I have installed the two service packs hoping to fix this issue.  There appears to be a limit to the quantity of items that can be selected if trying to change a property using a pulldown menu.  For example, if I select all items in a drawing (say 25,000 items, didn't test the limit), using (CTRL+A) or with mouse, and all items are not the same color, the OBJECT COLOR menu should be blank (have not value) because there is not only one color for the objects.  Same would be true of the Layer menu if all objects are not on the same layer.  This does not happen, the current Color or Layer are shown in the menu's.  WIth the objects selected, changing the color (say from red to green) has no effect.  Same is true if trying to assign all selected items to a specific layer.  WIth less items selected (didn't test the limit), things work as expected. 

I tried to see if the problem was with the menu, so I used the command line commands.  Change, Property, Color, with all items selected works fine.  Is there a bug with 2011 LT re this?  I didn't have this issue using ACAD LT 2008 previously.

Thanks for your help!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
drjohn
in reply to: NewHorizons

If there are multiple objects selected and the color is not the same the color should be VARIES and if on different layers the layer props should be VARIES ... etc ... etc ....

If you are having issues with the properties palette did you use a registry cleaner lately?  If so, the only fix is a repair install to get the correct registry values in place.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 9
NewHorizons
in reply to: drjohn

Thanks for the reply.

My previous version (LT 2008) used to say VARIES, not this one.  This is a new computer with new installation so there should be no issues with the registry.  Command line works fine.  I had an associate test the same with ACAD 2011, same result as I noted previously - apparent limit to selection.

I will try a installation repair but I am not holding my breath.  I can't see how the same installation would have occured on two separate computers with two different software.  I installed the two patches which would have affected the original install.  I re-ran the first, and it was recognized as being installed already.  All patches and original install was successful, no warning/errors.

Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 9
drjohn

If you have NOT used  a reg cleaner recently there is no reason to repair. Unless something else caused it.

I am using 2012 and it says VARIES in the props panel under the same conditions as you have experienced..  If your props panel is blank in most of the entries then the reg is screwed.  If not then don't repair.

Typically, Properties panel issues happen when IT gets involved and uses a reg cleaner to clean up the systems.  It was my best guess (I think Charles calls it SWAG Smiley Very Happy ).

Regards,

DJ

Message 5 of 9
pendean

You'll have to post a DWG file with this issue for others to examine: what you describe cannot be repeated here.

Otherwise, what the others noted about your registry would seem to be the logical reason for the problem and a repair/reinstall would fix it.

Your choice on how to proceed with the line of inquiries further. Let us know what you decide.

Message 6 of 9
NewHorizons
in reply to: pendean

Hi Folks,

Here is an example file.  I was able to select the right few columns of circles and made them red, but trying to select much more or all, the color change does not happen using the color pulldown menu.

VARIES does show (in the properties window that pops-up) when all are selected (including the red selection) but making a change does not happen.  The color menu stays at whatever the last choice/value was.  It does not go blank.

Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 9
pendean

OPTIONS command

SELECTION tab

There is an entry in current shipping versions of LT for "Object Limit For Properties Palette" that you may have set lower than your 70110 entity sample file. PROPOBJLIMIT system variable.

Same for the Ribbon properties, RIBBONCONTEXTSELLIM system variable.

Both limits have an upper value. Setting both variables to 0 (zero) however removes the limit but will allow AutoCAD to beat up on your PC's hardware and may well affect performance, or crash your system at some point.

Know what you are asking it to do and it's possible effects.

Message 8 of 9
NewHorizons
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the reply.

The PROPOBJLIMIT variable was not available.  I tried it on the command line, not recognized.

I went to OPTIONS>SELECTION>RibonOptions, Contextual Tab States... button>set Object Selection maximum for contextual tab display to 0.  I tried to set this to a high number but the limit is 32767.  Setting to 0 resulted in there being no more limit, pulldown works as it should.

Very odd that a limit would be placed here....

Thanks for the help!!

Message 9 of 9
pendean

Since I no longer use LT2011, that missing variable is in LT2012 and higher only is my guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost