Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Autocad file open with 2012 Autocad?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
charlie.yerrell
6356 Views, 5 Replies

2014 Autocad file open with 2012 Autocad?

Hi,

I have a student version of Autocad 2012. I have been working on a particular 2D drawing and the other day continued on with it at university where they run a newer version of Autocad (I am unsure whether it is 2013 or 2014). I now want to open this file with my Autocad 2012 on my laptop but I am unable to as it has been saved as a newer version by the university computer. Is there any way of opening this file on my laptop 2012 version?

I have downloaded Autocad DWG Trueview and tired to convert the file type but I am unable to as it states that I have a student version and it will not work.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: charlie.yerrell

As a full time student you can get 2014 for free: do so, it's the easiest solution.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: charlie.yerrell

I am an AutoCAD instructor at a local community college.  My students have varying releases of the student versions.  The college version is an earlier verision i.e. college has release 2012 students have 2012, 2013 and 2014 releases.  students have varying releases mostly because they have too much trouble downloading the earlier 2012 release.  As such, they need to convert their work done out of the classroom using their student versions to the earlier classroom version in order to work on their projects out of the drafting lab and in the college drafting lab.  The fact that the so-called DWG TrueView translator doesnt translate student versions is more than a small inconvenience.  The college only updates their releases when they deem it appropriate for whatever reasons.  Students have no control over that and neither do instructors.  Students also have no control over what releases of the student versions Autodesk chooses to allow them to download.  So if someone at Autodesk or somewhere else has a legitimate fix to this problem and not just some flippant retort like tell the college to purchase the latest version, i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

This is not Auridesk support.

You obviously can't read either: the student had the lower version and they could keep up with their school for free. That's great advise.

As the cad instructor you may not know this (it's not listed in the teacher course guide I believe): All AutoCAD versions, EDU and Commercial versions, can be either set to automatically save down (options command's save tab), or manually save down using SAVEAS command, plus newer version can open older versions with no extra effort.
There is also -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command (there is a dash in the name) that even eliminates any possible proxy objects in older versions when a lower format is selected there.

Did you try DTV? Where does it fail? How was it used that it failed? DTV up to version 2015 (current) work fine for knocking files down: care to post a DWG where the program fails to save it down for 2012? All us end users that answer posts around here have all versions and kinds of AutoCAD to help.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Yes we tried the DTV. That is where we are having the problem. It will not work with student versions to translate down. I suspect it has to do with the watermark Autodesk uses to keep people from using the student software for reasons other than education.

Thanks for your reply

A
Message 6 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

that's unusual, many report DTV2015 is the perfect tool to get rid of the EDU watermark.
By chance do you have an EDU file you can post here for testing purposes?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost